Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,142 times

Advertisements

We relocated from Cleveland last year and loving it so far. A few random thoughts: I remember not even realizing it was Autumn until I smelled cinnamon in a store. Christmas day was 80 and sunny - my kids got to ride the bikes Santa brought that day instead of waiting for months. Winter here was a bit strange everything suddenly turned brown for about 2 months - no pretty snow to hide it. The sun is so strong we definitely wear a lot more sunscreen, always look for shade and bring ice water when we leave the house. The kids have joined a swim team which they love. They are already so tan. I've completely stopped blow drying my hair. I've never needed more than a Jean jacket to stay warm. The summer storms here are insane and I haven't seen a big one yet. Getting into your car here in the heat is the worst part... do everything you can to be able to park in your garage (there are no basements here for storage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 08:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandDisneyMom View Post
We relocated from Cleveland last year and loving it so far. A few random thoughts: I remember not even realizing it was Autumn until I smelled cinnamon in a store. Christmas day was 80 and sunny - my kids got to ride the bikes Santa brought that day instead of waiting for months. Winter here was a bit strange everything suddenly turned brown for about 2 months - no pretty snow to hide it. The sun is so strong we definitely wear a lot more sunscreen, always look for shade and bring ice water when we leave the house. The kids have joined a swim team which they love. They are already so tan. I've completely stopped blow drying my hair. I've never needed more than a Jean jacket to stay warm. The summer storms here are insane and I haven't seen a big one yet. Getting into your car here in the heat is the worst part... do everything you can to be able to park in your garage (there are no basements here for storage).

Yep! Our summers suck but the fall and winter make up for it.

The car heat issue is real. This is why my trucks are always white or silver. Also need to invest in one of those reflective window shades for your dash.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:00 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,065,923 times
I remember summer church camp in east Texas had a lot of indoor a/c activities during the hottest part of the day - limited outdoor activities - sometimes in the evening before sunset - and lots of pool time - and the sleeping rooms were a/c. Yeah...you adapt.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:56 PM

338 posts, read 300,883 times
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We are planning a trip in June to experience the summer weather before buying a home.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:09 AM

694 posts, read 837,383 times
When looking for a home, take notice of the exposure of the back yard. Years ago we purchased a home with a back yard faced South with little shade, and we hardly used it. Now we have one where the backyard faces East and is shaded by the house in the afternoons. We use it a great deal. Look for covered patios.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:39 PM

363 posts, read 443,517 times
I have lived in New York, South Florida, Central Florida, El Paso, TX and Colorado.

The hot climates are so much better because as everyone is saying.... you just get everything outdoors done by 10am and go out at sundown.

When I lived in cold climates, I stay INDOORS for 6 months a year. At least in the summers, I go outside. I have played golf in S Florida and El Paso in August. It is hot but it is not so horrible you would rather be inside. You seek shade and drink more water. Sorry, "putting on more clothes" in the winter is NOT an option to enjoy sitting on my porch in December.

I am moving to College Station in August from Colorado and never, EVER going back to the cold, no matter how much money they offer. My mistake moving from El Paso to Colorado was chasing the dollar, which I found dollars, but also hated every almost every minute from November to June.

As I speak now, it snowed last weekend and now it is so damn windy no one wants to go outside for this memorial day......

I cannot wait to get back to Texas..... and I am never going anywhere ever again where the winters are not at least in the 60s.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
I have lived in New York, South Florida, Central Florida, El Paso, TX and Colorado.

The hot climates are so much better because as everyone is saying.... you just get everything outdoors done by 10am and go out at sundown.

When I lived in cold climates, I stay INDOORS for 6 months a year. At least in the summers, I go outside. I have played golf in S Florida and El Paso in August. It is hot but it is not so horrible you would rather be inside. You seek shade and drink more water. Sorry, "putting on more clothes" in the winter is NOT an option to enjoy sitting on my porch in December.

I am moving to College Station in August from Colorado and never, EVER going back to the cold, no matter how much money they offer. My mistake moving from El Paso to Colorado was chasing the dollar, which I found dollars, but also hated every almost every minute from November to June.

As I speak now, it snowed last weekend and now it is so damn windy no one wants to go outside for this memorial day......

I cannot wait to get back to Texas..... and I am never going anywhere ever again where the winters are not at least in the 60s.

True!

You can do things outdoors practically all year in Houston. Yes, you will have to prepare for the heat, but you can bike, golf, play tennis or fish year round here. Cannot do that in many northern places.

I say get prepared and used to the heat and deal with it. It is way easier to deal with than 6 months of 20-30 degrees and ice and snow and gray skies. That is depressing!

Old 06-06-2022, 08:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,956 times
As a kid you could not keep us indoors during the day in July-August. As an adult it's a different story.
But there are some people here who do not even have A/C. I would not choose to do that, but to each his/her own. Granted it's possible that it can get hot enough to impact a person's health, but for the average person in average health, 90F in the shade is not bad at all. Compare that to standing outdoors in -10F.

Remember that summer marching band rehearsal is just starting up, high school football begins around August, and high school baseball playoffs are currently underway. Lots of outdoor stuff is going on right now. As the post above noted - sports are year around here.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:40 AM

338 posts, read 300,883 times
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just returned from a 2 weeks trip to India. I experienced highs of 109 degrees during day time. I did not spend a lot of time outdoors but spent enough time outdoors to feel the high temperature. I am over 50 and in good health. I was fine with hot weather. I am convinced that we will adapt to the hot weather will got more time outdoors in Houston than we do in MN.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:31 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,178,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post

Enjoy the mosquitos and fire ants as you sit on your porch.

If you really did live in Colorado you would know that there are nice days for outdoor activities even in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston