Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:12 AM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Seattle and Atlanta are probably the biggest shoe-in's just based on soccer culture and locations of their stadiums/fanbases alone. Two biggest MLS franchises teams and great stadium locations as well. NYC and L.A is more because of city-size because Inglewood and East Rutherford while close, aren't exactly the city center or have amenities near them that's desirable for pre and postgame events. But it's NYC and L.A and the rail links are there as well.
I don’t think MLS has any factor in this. I don’t think Seattle will get a game. Atlanta definitely will I just don’t think it’s because of their MLS team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 10:52 AM

3,172 posts, read 2,060,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Before Astroworld I would have bet on us. Now, Im not sure.
I agree that hurt us but even before then I was pessimistic.

I'm actually a little more optimistic now than I was then because the DC bid is essentially Baltimore now as DC pulled FedEx Field from consideration. That weakens it considerably - before when I thought DC was a shoo-in, now I'm not so sure.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I agree that hurt us but even before then I was pessimistic.

I'm actually a little more optimistic now than I was then because the DC bid is essentially Baltimore now as DC pulled FedEx Field from consideration. That weakens it considerably - before when I thought DC was a shoo-in, now I'm not so sure.
Not sure why that would make you any more optimistic. Baltimore wasn't expected to be selected. That's why they combined bids (it was more of a prouder way to drop out than anything).

This is the way I see it. Supposing that they stick to 3 in Canada and 3 in Mexico (they've mentioned this could change), this is how it plays out.

There's 10 spots.

Confirmed -

NYC (only confirmed place as it was announced it will host the Final)

Lock ins
  • LA
  • Atlanta
  • Miami

Most likely in
  • Dallas (AT&T Stadium seems to be popular for officials)
  • SF
  • DC

Supposing everything so far holds, this leaves 3 spots. Houston will battle it out to be among the following.

Fighting for the next spot
  • Houston
  • Philly
  • Boston
  • Seattle
  • Denver
  • Orlando
  • Nashville

I would think they'll choose between Boston and Philly to spread it out. But one of the two will definitely make it. I don't think Orlando or Nashville have good chances. Houston ultimately battles it out between Seattle and Denver for the last 2 spots. I think Seattle makes it, and the choice from there is between Houston and Denver. I think the chance is better than you'd think, but definitely not guaranteed.

Most likely out

Cincinnatti
Kansas City

I didn't include there because I doubt they will be considered from there.

Honestly, I'm upset Vegas wasn't too late for the show despite the fact that it helps out chances.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,982,193 times
Although Astroworld was tragic, I'm not sure it plays that big a part in the FIFA decision. What they are most worried about is money and access to more fans. That's why I'm not so sure Seattle gets a game as they are just two hours away from Vancouver which would host a game. Now someone will say, then why would Houston get a game when Dallas is just four hours away, and to that I'd say there's far more soccer fans in the area here (in general). Plus a large Latin American population and the city's history hosting soccer events.

I'm gonna say NYC, LA, SF, Miami, DFW, and ATL are lock-ins. Because DC pulled Fed Ex Field from their bid, I think it opened the door for Philly to take it in. They can do all the "original capital of America" thing with Philly. Because of this, I think the remaining cities would actually be Houston (reasons named), Denver (for the Interior West fans and they can easily pull from soccer crazy Kansas City), and Boston.

Personally don't think the World Cup is going to Baltimore, although it'd be an easy positive story spin if it coincided with Baltimore getting a much needed face lift.

I agree with PS about Vegas. That would have been a sweet spot to have some games. If Vegas was in it, Seattle and Denver would have been automatic outs IMO, and Vegas might even have had a shot at hosting the championship game. Their stadium is insane and Vegas is an event hosting city.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:21 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t think MLS has any factor in this. I don’t think Seattle will get a game. Atlanta definitely will I just don’t think it’s because of their MLS team.
I also don't think MLS will factor in this. Atlanta maybe a shoe in because of their stadium and it's in downtown Atlanta. But MLS? meh.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:31 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I also don't think MLS will factor in this. Atlanta maybe a shoe in because of their stadium and it's in downtown Atlanta. But MLS? meh.
It's all about money ... MLS doesn't matter
That's why NY, LA and Chicago are guaranteed to get a few games

Old 06-13-2022, 01:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,982,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Chicago withdrew its bid a few years ago, but I think this is why Houston will get chosen since more money can be made in Houston versus Seattle for the World Cup, IMO. It's also why places like Nashville won't get it because it's too small/too close to Atlanta. It is a reason why Orlando still has a decent shot due to the theme parks and tie-ins they can do with it, although Miami is relatively close.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You just dogged on SanJac for not “knowing about how the World Cup game environments are” and you just said Chicago is gauranteed to get a few games. Come on man do better then that

Old 06-13-2022, 08:15 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
My expertise is past world cups, not future world cups

Old 06-15-2022, 07:36 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,032,433 times
DMN article implies Dallas and Houston would be host cities…. Nice to see DFW on our side…

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/fc...-announcement/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston