Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 09:06 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times

Advertisements

Thursday is a big day for Houston soccer fans and the city as a whole. Will Houston be one of the 16 sites FIFA will choose ? How could it not be ?

As Houston vies to host a World Cup game, the city's diverse soccer culture enters the spotlight.

On June 16, FIFA will announce its host cities for the 2026 Men’s World Cup to be held in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. If Houston is one of the 16 locations chosen for the 48-team tournament, the city’s robust international soccer culture will serve as a prominent backdrop.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...photo-22581607
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 12:32 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. This post should’ve waited

Old 06-12-2022, 02:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Thursday is a big day for Houston soccer fans and the city as a whole. Will Houston be one of the 16 sites FIFA will choose ? How could it not be ?

As Houston vies to host a World Cup game, the city's diverse soccer culture enters the spotlight.

On June 16, FIFA will announce its host cities for the 2026 Men’s World Cup to be held in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. If Houston is one of the 16 locations chosen for the 48-team tournament, the city’s robust international soccer culture will serve as a prominent backdrop.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...photo-22581607
As someone who has been to both Dynamo games and international games. The Dynamos stadium is currently too small, and the atmosphere could be so much better within the stadium for actual Dynamo games but the location basically can't be beaten in terms of what I've seen from most American Football stadiums, although EaDo in 2026 will be even more improved than now.

Now the actual stadium of choice NRG is the complete opposite. It's perfect as a stadium and area for hosting events but the location could be so much better. Astrodome area is kind of dead no bar scene nearby and while train access makes a massive difference and IAH being the big international airport being miles away doesn't help either, I feel a lot will have to change in the actual area in the next 6 years for the stadium to be considered World Cup friendly, but Houston isn't the only city suffering from this. Half the cities on the list have the American set-up of stadiums being on whatever available land is open far from any popping district.

The shoe-ins will be L.A, NYC, Seattle and Atlanta. I want to say Boston, SF and Dallas but Gillette has always rubbed of the wrong way being a million miles from the city and airport. SF seems perfect on paper, but the Stadium is a 2 hour ride to downtown on BART currently and is in Santa Clara. Dallas would be a shoe-in because the area around the Stadium while suburban does feel like an events centered neighborhood the airport is around the corner, but again I feel like walking taking transit to events before and after the game are important and Dallas while a soccer powerhouse is using Arlington's stadium.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:02 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
It would be a crime for Houston not to be selected but we shall see…

Hopefully Chris Canetti’s work pays off!

Old 06-12-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
As someone who has been to both Dynamo games and international games. The Dynamos stadium is currently too small, and the atmosphere could be so much better within the stadium for actual Dynamo games but the location basically can't be beaten in terms of what I've seen from most American Football stadiums, although EaDo in 2026 will be even more improved than now.

Now the actual stadium of choice NRG is the complete opposite. It's perfect as a stadium and area for hosting events but the location could be so much better. Astrodome area is kind of dead no bar scene nearby and while train access makes a massive difference and IAH being the big international airport being miles away doesn't help either, I feel a lot will have to change in the actual area in the next 6 years for the stadium to be considered World Cup friendly, but Houston isn't the only city suffering from this. Half the cities on the list have the American set-up of stadiums being on whatever available land is open far from any popping district.

The shoe-ins will be L.A, NYC, Seattle and Atlanta. I want to say Boston, SF and Dallas but Gillette has always rubbed of the wrong way being a million miles from the city and airport. SF seems perfect on paper, but the Stadium is a 2 hour ride to downtown on BART currently and is in Santa Clara. Dallas would be a shoe-in because the area around the Stadium while suburban does feel like an events centered neighborhood the airport is around the corner, but again I feel like walking taking transit to events before and after the game are important and Dallas while a soccer powerhouse is using Arlington's stadium.
I agree with this post word for word.

Except for the Dynamo stadium part since I’ve never been. Looking at the numbers though, Dynamo stadium seems to have one of the highest capacities outside of the stadiums that are shared with the NFL. But I’ve never been to an MLS stadium neither in Houston nor any where else so I’m only going by the numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...occer_stadiums

Old 06-12-2022, 03:56 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. This post should’ve waited
I'm sure the site selection committee has already made their choices so no worries on any jink's. I'm just hoping Houston's reputation as a city that knows how to host a big event is still intact.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:50 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I went to 2 World Cup games in Seoul and I loved it
I have no idea why anybody would come to Houston for a World Cup game

Old 06-12-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I went to 2 World Cup games in Seoul and I loved it
I have no idea why anybody would come to Houston for a World Cup game
To attend the stadium and see the match.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:47 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To attend the stadium and see the match.
Exactly! What an idiotic statement. People go to the World Cup to follow their teams. Do you think they care what city they are in? Convenience is just an added bonus.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:04 PM

392 posts, read 316,899 times
Houston already won it. We have too many international oil and gas money with record profits and those corporate boxes and sponsorships will be sold out quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston