Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 04:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
2000 is more than enough to maintain a headquarters. Even for a company as big as chevron. And especially with the way WFM is revolutionizing the work environment, this is definitely more than possible.

As a matter of a fact, in my opinion, this move was ultimately designed to fit the modern WFM environment. Exxon’s howard Hughes office exodus was in large part for the same reason.

Could it happen? The possibility is absolutely there. But I wouldn’t wait for it to happen. Nor do I know why people want it to happen so much. They already have their largest employment base here. Houston already landed ExxonMobil so they already have the largest integrated energy company in USA meaning they bragging rights is already there.

And Chevron does make use of their Silicon Valley proximity on contrary to popular belief.
Yes, they want access to the tech titans, but they also want political cover. California has basically outlawed the gas-powered engine and unless Chevron either gets that mandate overturned or they diversify away from oil and gas altogether I don't see how they can stay in California past 2035 when the mandates are supposed to take effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 04:51 PM

15,441 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes, they want access to the tech titans, but they also want political cover. California has basically outlawed the gas-powered engine and unless Chevron either gets that mandate overturned or they diversify away from oil and gas altogether I don't see how they can stay in California past 2035 when the mandates are supposed to take effect.
California is not banning ICE cars. The requirement is for all new cars sold in 2035 or later to be zero emission. Fossil fuels will still be used. I also don't see how they can make all of the agriculture equipment zero emission, or electric. Not when harvest requires 300hp tractors running 20 hours a day.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:44 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
California is not banning ICE cars. The requirement is for all new cars sold in 2035 or later to be zero emission. Fossil fuels will still be used. I also don't see how they can make all of the agriculture equipment zero emission, or electric. Not when harvest requires 300hp tractors running 20 hours a day.
They aren’t doing zero admission. Rather they are doing net zero by balancing out. But as you stated, California outlawed the sale of ICE, not banned them outright. Additionally, Chevron (as is any other major oil company) is heavily involved in the power generation of electricity. And they enjoy being at Silicon Valley’s foot steps.

So yeah, very much agree this post very much. I would think it’s more likely that California taxes Chevron out of Texas rather than regulations take them away.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
A company does not need to be headquartered in the Bay Area ro take advantage of the SV. Several companies have tech offices in the Bay but arent HQed there. I'm sure Chevron might enjoy the convenience somewhat but it's not the end all be all.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:13 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
A company does not need to be headquartered in the Bay Area ro take advantage of the SV. Several companies have tech offices in the Bay but arent HQed there. I'm sure Chevron might enjoy the convenience somewhat but it's not the end all be all.
Likewise, they don’t need to be HQ’d in the energy capital of the world to have access to the talent that exists in it. They’ve had most of their engineers in Houston for a very long time. They didn’t need it before, they don’t need it now.

I’m not anti Chevron moving here by any means, I just don’t understand why people want it to happen so much. With ExxonMobil, I atleast understand the bragging rights associated with having America’s largest integrated energy company. Chevron being here wouldn’t give Houston anything it doesn’t already have.

Houston will gain other major companies via relocations and growth. And Chevron will continue to grow (or downsize) in Houston as needed. Sending some of their California workers is one example. Chevron also has the second largest lease at the Ion behind Microsoft which basically tells you that they atleast intend to grow here regardless of where their hq is.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Likewise, they don’t need to be HQ’d in the energy capital of the world to have access to the talent that exists in it. They’ve had most of their engineers in Houston for a very long time. They didn’t need it before, they don’t need it now.

I’m not anti Chevron moving here by any means, I just don’t understand why people want it to happen so much. With ExxonMobil, I atleast understand the bragging rights associated with having America’s largest integrated energy company. Chevron being here wouldn’t give Houston anything it doesn’t already have.

Houston will gain other major companies via relocations and growth. And Chevron will continue to grow (or downsize) in Houston as needed. Sending some of their California workers is one example. Chevron also has the second largest lease at the Ion behind Microsoft which basically tells you that they atleast intend to grow here regardless of where their hq is.
All people have said is it looks like Chevron could move their HQ to Houston similar to how Exxon did even after saying they wouldn't. It's not a big deal, just speculation and one based on prior city history.

Chevron is 16th on the fortune 500 list. What city would not want to add that kind of corporation, regardless of where the jobs are spread nationwide? Gaining a company like that adds prestige. Now when Houston goes to market itself, they can say they're the proud HOME of Chevron, etc. There is this notion that HQs moving around is just a thing people in Houston care about but thats not true. Any city put into this situation would garner the same attention. People arent living and dying by Chevron's HQ if thats what you think. Just fun speculation on an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston