Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 06:10 PM

15,499 posts, read 7,538,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, now tell me how to do that with a stay at home wife with 3 teenagers that don’t go outside to play
Make them go outside and do stuff. Change the locks, and make them stay outside until 5pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 07:49 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,532,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Make them go outside and do stuff. Change the locks, and make them stay outside until 5pm.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, now tell me how to do that with a stay at home wife with 3 teenagers that don’t go outside to play
make them go naked and drink lots of ice water.
or if they always stay in one place,like in front of TV or game console,use a fan.
There are portable A/C,i dont know if it really works,but fans will do

Old 07-02-2022, 08:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,798,480 times
We are still locked in at a low kwh rate, but are anticipating that our rates will increase substantially next year. In light of this, and in light of the especially hot start to summer 2022, we've taken the following steps to manage our usage:

-Making sure HVAC is in good repair. Our ACs and furnaces are healthy, but we found a massive leak in one of our AC plenums that was missed by our home inspector, HVAC company, and duct cleaning company! Basically, conditioned air was belching into the attic. We caught this last summer, after a few months in our home, and fixing it resulted in a downward shift in our AC usage.
-Limit pool pump to 8 hours/day, and prepare to swap the pump for a VS unit (~100 watts vs ~1500 watts for our current pump).
-As much as possible, reduce time spent in the house during the day and set the AC to 84 while gone. Yep, I drive in to the office even though company still lets us work from home! (thankfully office is 10 minutes away) We also joined a family fitness club that has very generous childcare offerings and cold AC. It's not cheap, but based on historical kwh usage from the previous owner of our house, I'm pretty sure that it's cheaper during the summer than it would be to keep our house at 72 degrees 24/7.

Teens need to get summer jobs or do something active outside the house. I support the suggestion to change the locks while they're out . 87 kwh is pretty high for 2500 sq ft...maybe set the AC higher and use ceiling fans? 33 kwh for 1600 sq ft is admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: