Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,015 times

Advertisements

We found the fall creek subdivision to be possibly a fit due to pricing relative to size of house (and amenities such as a backyard) and decent schools.

Is this not recommended? Any other areas we should be looking at?

We both work downtown and want to limit the commute as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,248,869 times
Amenities out there are pretty slim. Why not Pearland? I think it’s an unattractive mess but there’s more out there for kids and I don’t think the drive is any worse up 288.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:40 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,777,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbusedByPowerPoint View Post
We found the fall creek subdivision to be possibly a fit due to pricing relative to size of house (and amenities such as a backyard) and decent schools.

Is this not recommended? Any other areas we should be looking at?

We both work downtown and want to limit the commute as much as possible.
I think that’s a solid neighborhood, I wouldn’t rule out Summerwood and Lakeshore in that price point.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 3,015 times
I appreciate the responses arm and usc. We looked around pearland and you are right about the “unattractive mess”. That’s what turned us off somewhat. Although it’s not out of the question.

We did not consider summer wood and lakeshore yet, thank you for the suggestions. We will look into it

Old 07-17-2022, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 2,597 times
Former Fall Creek Resident. Lived there for 10 wonderful years but the commute got old after we had kids.
My husband worked downtown when we were in Fall Creek. It’s an easy 20-25 minute commute on a Sunday with no traffic. It’s when you have to drive in the rush hour, the commute looses its appeal. We left FC about 6 years ago. At that time Traffic was congested but it moved at the speed limit until you pass 610. Everything bottlenecks at I-10. It’s one of those deals where if you leave just 5 minutes late, it could add on 20 minutes to the commute. However, since COVID houston traffic is still a tad lighter than before due to people working from home more.

People and neighbors were great. Amenities and a yard was nice. The downside is the crime. However you get that anywhere. The things I wish I would have liked to have known that I didn’t know when we purchased out there: 1) There is a Dump located at Wilson Rd and Atascocita Rd (look up on google maps). 2.) Just down the Atascocita Rd is State Jail Facility. It was not uncommon to hear helicopters flying around due to an escapee here and there.

We downsized to a house half the size, paid more per square foot, in a gated patio home community. You just have to look at all the things and try to predict what affect commute time may have on your family time. For us we just decided it was worth it to move closer in and leave the chaotic mornings in the past.

But , with all that said… I would move back to my old house and have my old neighbors in a heartbeat if we worked from home or in a Northern Part of Houston.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:30 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,076,661 times
There is a park and ride (Eastex) located VERY close to Fall Creek that has very frequent commuting frequency into downtown. Could be helpful on a regular or occasional basis!

Old 07-17-2022, 08:37 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,251,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHTX View Post
Former Fall Creek Resident. Lived there for 10 wonderful years but the commute got old after we had kids.
My husband worked downtown when we were in Fall Creek. It’s an easy 20-25 minute commute on a Sunday with no traffic. It’s when you have to drive in the rush hour, the commute looses its appeal. We left FC about 6 years ago. At that time Traffic was congested but it moved at the speed limit until you pass 610. Everything bottlenecks at I-10. It’s one of those deals where if you leave just 5 minutes late, it could add on 20 minutes to the commute. However, since COVID houston traffic is still a tad lighter than before due to people working from home more.

People and neighbors were great. Amenities and a yard was nice. The downside is the crime. However you get that anywhere. The things I wish I would have liked to have known that I didn’t know when we purchased out there: 1) There is a Dump located at Wilson Rd and Atascocita Rd (look up on google maps). 2.) Just down the Atascocita Rd is State Jail Facility. It was not uncommon to hear helicopters flying around due to an escapee here and there.

We downsized to a house half the size, paid more per square foot, in a gated patio home community. You just have to look at all the things and try to predict what affect commute time may have on your family time. For us we just decided it was worth it to move closer in and leave the chaotic mornings in the past.

But , with all that said… I would move back to my old house and have my old neighbors in a heartbeat if we worked from home or in a Northern Part of Houston.
Crime - that is the major problem with Houston. You do get that everywhere - in Houston. While no place is immune to any crime, being an outsider, the crime in Houston is significantly more widespread and higher amounts in "good areas" than any where else I've lived or where friends and relatives live in the United States. Other places it is more concentrated in "bad areas". In those places, you could spend half the money on a much older and smaller house and almost never worry about crime.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:57 PM

313 posts, read 283,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHTX View Post

Where did you move to?

Old 07-18-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Where did you move to?
We moved to Spring Branch. We are in the neighborhood behind IKEA. It’s very convenient to 610 and I-10.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Crime - that is the major problem with Houston. You do get that everywhere - in Houston. While no place is immune to any crime, being an outsider, the crime in Houston is significantly more widespread and higher amounts in "good areas" than any where else I've lived or where friends and relatives live in the United States. Other places it is more concentrated in "bad areas". In those places, you could spend half the money on a much older and smaller house and almost never worry about crime.
I agree there is no safe spot. The oddest thing is. I feel safer in my current home even though I am certain the numbers are worse. It’s just the gate that makes me feel secure. Don’t get me wrong, we have had auto break ins in the neighborhood but no home burglaries like we used to hear about at our old house. It’s Houston. You just have to be aware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston