Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 06:33 AM

18,160 posts, read 25,397,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
As someone who got around Austin for 4 years, without a car and would frequently utilize the bus system, as well as the rail system. The worry of vagrant's on the buses is a very real problem.

I don't care in the sense that I'm not perturbed by homeless people living their lives. But I imagine a mom with young children wouldn't want to ride the train with a woman screaming unhinged rants about how she wants to kill everyone. Or a man mumbling under his breath just to start screaming when no one is there.
I agree,
that's why I think there should be different tiers/levels of bus systems

I think bus routes should cover a small area, ending in a hub
there should be a 2nd tier of buses, nicer and more expensive, that connect those hubs.

Instead, we have buses that serve both functions,
provide service in a small area and at the same time take people from UofH all the way to Hwy 6 and Westpark Tollway 20 miles away (25 - Richmond)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 10:47 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,999,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Easy,
increase ridership on rail to show that it works and we need to keep on expanding it
From the user's perspective, unless they are trying to go somewhere in the neighborhoods on the Near North Side, why would I want to get on the Red Line to go Downtown / Midtown / TMC when I could get on a P&R bus that gets me there (and can let me then access the Red Line at that point) much much faster?

Old 07-15-2022, 11:36 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,060,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
From the user's perspective, unless they are trying to go somewhere in the neighborhoods on the Near North Side, why would I want to get on the Red Line to go Downtown / Midtown / TMC when I could get on a P&R bus that gets me there (and can let me then access the Red Line at that point) much much faster?
Driving to Northline would be backtracking for me but why wouldn’t people driving in from The Woodlands use a P&R at Northline to then use rail to take them downtown to Astros games, connect to the UH line for UH or Dynamo games, connect to the Theater district, continue to the Museum District or NRG stadium?

I would use the Quitman P&R but frankly it looks sketchy and only has capacity for about 20 cars. Some added security would be nice.

When I take rail to UH games I park downtown by Minute Maid Park. I shouldn’t have to drive that far really but at least my car seems safer parked downtown.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:58 AM

62,102 posts, read 87,849,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is not a new thing. Everytime they mention a transit line of any sorts being built, you’ll hear “the small businesses will be hit, the construction in the meantime, I had to relocate, blah blah blah”. Some people don’t like progress. They’d rather let a place decay. I don’t get it either. They should have no say in this
Have to agree with this ^^^^^
Progress isn't our strong site. Every little hint of doing something better, easier or different is usually hit with tons of negativities.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:30 PM

10,038 posts, read 6,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Have to agree with this ^^^^^
Progress isn't our strong site. Every little hint of doing something better, easier or different is usually hit with tons of negativities.
Atleast the younger generation of Houstonians are much more pro transit. In the least, let’s hope we eventually get to a point of constant expansion

Old 07-15-2022, 01:24 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,999,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Driving to Northline would be backtracking for me but why wouldn’t people driving in from The Woodlands use a P&R at Northline to then use rail to take them downtown to Astros games, connect to the UH line for UH or Dynamo games, connect to the Theater district, continue to the Museum District or NRG stadium?

I would use the Quitman P&R but frankly it looks sketchy and only has capacity for about 20 cars. Some added security would be nice.

When I take rail to UH games I park downtown by Minute Maid Park. I shouldn’t have to drive that far really but at least my car seems safer parked downtown.
"Looks sketchy" - explain. Or are you just saying that because it's in (apart from ongoing gentrification) a low-mod Hispanic neighborhood?

So, you're mainly concerned about going Downtown during hours when METRO isn't running its P&R commute buses. That makes more sense now. It's worth noting that METRO is now opening its HOV/HOT lanes on weekends, but of course that doesn't include bus service. I've often wondered if METRO should look at having some sort of longer-distance bus service operating out of P&R lots into downtown, maybe with other P&R stops along the way, during non-commute hours (nights and weekends), or maybe for events like baseball / basketball.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:29 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,316,430 times
Default Or cost too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is not a new thing. Everytime they mention a transit line of any sorts being built, you’ll hear “the small businesses will be hit, the construction in the meantime, I had to relocate, blah blah blah”. Some people don’t like progress. They’d rather let a place decay. I don’t get it either. They should have no say in this
I still recall the Bob Lanier days... when a rail line was proposed then... people did not want it because 'it cost too much'. My response to that is sophomoric I know, but what the F*K do these people think it costs, and do they think waiting will make it less expensive?! Of course it is expensive, but we may not have had to build all this ugly infrastructure that has happened in the last 20-30 years. All of this concrete. What is the cost to maintain it in perpetuity? What will people do when the federal government starts to tax people per mile driven in their vehicles? Will those living in Katy, Sugarland and the Woodlands like having to pay the tax? It is coming, no doubt, newer vehicles have this information, and when people go in to get their car inspected, they will be assessed a fee based on the data. Maybe then people will give rail a second look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston