Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 10,879 times

Advertisements

Thanks y’all! Looks like we’re likely headed to Houston next year! I am also looking at Meyerland area to shorten the commute (and better schools than Pearland??) but I’m reading it floods a lot. What’s the situation like?

Anywhere else I should look at while I’m visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 09:47 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Some parts of Meyerland have flooded several times in recent years, but I wouldn't recommend writing off the whole neighborhood. What I'm seeing on HAR.com right now are a number of houses that look like great deals, because they have flooded in the past and have not been raised. So those are definitely buyer-beware situations that would depend on your personal risk tolerance.

If you, like me, would not be interested in a property that has flooded in the past, those can be found as well, and if you search up 77096 on HAR.com, those properties will typically say "never flooded." I also recommend looking at flood maps and staying within the 500-year flood plain. The Harvey flooding tracked pretty well with the 100-year flood plain, as far as I could see.

Personally I love this part of town. There are good public schools, good magnet possibilities, and lots of private school options if you decide to go that route. It's nice to be a few minutes from the Galleria, museum district, etc.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:22 PM

34 posts, read 54,054 times
Checkout Sienna in Missouri City. You can take the Fort Bend tollway straight to TMC (almost). Meet all your needs with HEB right in front of the community.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Some parts of Meyerland have flooded several times in recent years, but I wouldn't recommend writing off the whole neighborhood. What I'm seeing on HAR.com right now are a number of houses that look like great deals, because they have flooded in the past and have not been raised. So those are definitely buyer-beware situations that would depend on your personal risk tolerance.

If you, like me, would not be interested in a property that has flooded in the past, those can be found as well, and if you search up 77096 on HAR.com, those properties will typically say "never flooded." I also recommend looking at flood maps and staying within the 500-year flood plain. The Harvey flooding tracked pretty well with the 100-year flood plain, as far as I could see.

Personally I love this part of town. There are good public schools, good magnet possibilities, and lots of private school options if you decide to go that route. It's nice to be a few minutes from the Galleria, museum district, etc.
I am definitely very cognizant of the flooding potential and we will not be buying a home that has flooded! I will look at that zip code. We currently are in a less suburban, more city-like area and love how many things are close. Plus, a shorter commute is nice. However, we have lived the suburb life and loved our massive house! Just needed more amenities in the neighborhood. It’s definitely a toss up and I’ll be strongly researching both.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quangp View Post
Checkout Sienna in Missouri City. You can take the Fort Bend tollway straight to TMC (almost). Meet all your needs with HEB right in front of the community.
Thank You!! I will add this to the list and check out some homes on HAR!

Old 10-21-2022, 11:10 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dr View Post
I am definitely very cognizant of the flooding potential and we will not be buying a home that has flooded! I will look at that zip code. We currently are in a less suburban, more city-like area and love how many things are close. Plus, a shorter commute is nice. However, we have lived the suburb life and loved our massive house! Just needed more amenities in the neighborhood. It’s definitely a toss up and I’ll be strongly researching both.
This is the kind of house I would recommend in 77096. It's on a street that hasn't flooded, zoned to a great elementary school (Parker), near awesome neighborhood pool (Maplewood). I really think you can't beat the value/location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston