Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 07:59 PM

34 posts, read 25,754 times

Advertisements

I currently have AT&T Uverse and record almost all shows, some times even sports, and watch when I want to watch. Uverse has become just WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I want to be able to get KUHT CH 8 for sure and one solution is to stream YouTube TV because they carry KUHT CH 8. The problem is that I prefer NOT to do any business with Google-owned companies. KUHT has a service called Passport which is a possiblilty. I am waiting on a reply from KUHT to let me know if I can watch their shows when I want to, or if I have to watch them at the exact time they are transmitted (broadcasted). KUHT has a lot of shows I like to watch including Austin City Limits, Daytripper, Texas Parks & Wildlife, Nova, and others.

So, do any of you have suggestions? Hulu does not carry KUHT, nor does any of those others that I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 10:03 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,524,605 times
Have you tried an antenna? Assuming you live in the Houston area you should be able to plug in a regular old VHF/UHF antenna and pick up the station if you aren't too far away. You can enter your ZIP code here to see how far you are from the broadcast tower:

https://www.antennaweb.org/

It also appears they have an on-demand service for members, but I don't know how much content you'll find there:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/support/passport/

Another PBS streaming service:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/#

Old 10-27-2022, 11:22 PM

I have a roof antenna and works fine. The problem is that AT&T will take my DVR when I drop Uverse. With no DVR I have no means of recording. Tivo, Tablo, all that stuff is out of the question. Thanks for your suggestions. I think CH 8's Passport (paid service for members) is the answer. I believe it includes On Demand and that should work. Price is right too IF it includes On Demand. Hope to hear back from them (CH 8) soon.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:26 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I haven't used this, but give it a try

How can I watch PBS videos on my Roku device?

Old 10-28-2022, 01:57 PM

Thanks. I've heard of those but not familiar with them. I'll take a closer look.

I just received a very detailed reply from KUHT CH 8 Rep and he provided ways that I might try. Passport sounds like the best way and costs $60/year which is worth it to me. But one time cost of Roku might be even better. When I bought this house one of the first things I did was have a roof (OTA) antenna installed and had some type of recorder that I used to record programs of choice. Hurricanes have done some light damage (missing element or 2) but picture is still great. So, maybe Roku, or maybe Passport. Always a possibility I'll pay for YouTube TV. The KUHT Rep said this: "YouTube TV is currently the only commercial service with a license to steam PBS member stations like Houston Public Media’s TV 8".

Old 10-28-2022, 03:11 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Eater View Post
Thanks. I've heard of those but not familiar with them. I'll take a closer look.

I just received a very detailed reply from KUHT CH 8 Rep and he provided ways that I might try. Passport sounds like the best way and costs $60/year which is worth it to me. But one time cost of Roku might be even better. When I bought this house one of the first things I did was have a roof (OTA) antenna installed and had some type of recorder that I used to record programs of choice. Hurricanes have done some light damage (missing element or 2) but picture is still great. So, maybe Roku, or maybe Passport. Always a possibility I'll pay for YouTube TV. The KUHT Rep said this: "YouTube TV is currently the only commercial service with a license to steam PBS member stations like Houston Public Media’s TV 8".
If you have a Roku, you will not be able to access PBS content unless you have Passport, as far as I know. I'm not familiar with the YouTube route, maybe that would work. But I think you need a) Roku and b) Passport.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
I just watched a program of KUHT on youtube(not youtube TV) LAST night ,

Old 10-29-2022, 06:42 AM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Eater View Post
I have a roof antenna and works fine. The problem is that AT&T will take my DVR when I drop Uverse. With no DVR I have no means of recording. Tivo, Tablo, all that stuff is out of the question. Thanks for your suggestions. I think CH 8's Passport (paid service for members) is the answer. I believe it includes On Demand and that should work. Price is right too IF it includes On Demand. Hope to hear back from them (CH 8) soon.

We use Passport and have never had any issue.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
Sling-you dont need DVR to record,but there is a limit on how much you can record

Old 10-30-2022, 03:42 AM

Sling does not carry KUHT CH 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: