Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 06:43 PM

190 posts, read 211,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
Thanks! This is very helpful. I'm assuming G/T refers to gifted/talented? Is there some standardized test for that? And for performing arts, I'm assuming that would include stuff like dance and piano?
Right, there is a test for gifted/talented. A very high percentage of kids in the elite schools get certified, 70%+. That will make you eligible for the schools that require it (like Lanier and Rogers) and also some schools have entire separate classes for GT, like Meyerland. Dance, piano, theater, orchestra, writing, visual art, band -- lots of choices for arts. There is more competition for things like theater where lots of kids have interest and talent is more subjective, than, say, music where kids who have taken lessons will have a big advantage over everybody else.

If you are zoned for Pershing, Meyerland, or Jane Long you get extra advantage for getting into Pin Oak because it's the overflow school for those areas and 2/3s of the student for Pin Oak come from those school zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 08:08 PM

28 posts, read 13,092 times
I'm sure you will do this but I would definitely take a flight out to look around before you make any decisions. A friend of mine was considering moving to Bellaire. When I came to town for my own house hunting, he took me to Bellaire. I was not impressed at all. I thought it looked horrible. I couldn't believe he was willing to spend 1-2 million dollars to live around some run-down areas. the neighborhoods were lackluster. On some streets, I saw like a million dollar home next to a shack looking house. Maybe they're better parts I didn't see. But what I did see, I did not have one good thing to say about it.

I'm not sure if it was my reaction or not, but he's no longer considering Bellaire. He's heavily focusing on Memorial instead. Me personally, I ended up buying in Sugar Land.

Everyone has an opinion. This is mine. be sure to look for yourself.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:02 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaflower View Post
He took me to Bellaire. I was not impressed at all. I thought it looked horrible. I couldn't believe he was willing to spend 1-2 million dollars to live around some run-down areas. the neighborhoods were lackluster. On some streets, I saw like a million dollar home next to a shack looking house. Maybe they're better parts I didn't see. But what I did see, I did not have one good thing to say about it.
Umm...how do I put this...Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I do believe that in most cases, those lackluster shack-looking houses belong to this "endangered species" segment of society sometimes labeled as "senior citizens" - who have the audacity to remain in their house rather than selling it as a teardown.

Though they may not meet everyone's standards of visual appeal, they often make great neighbors!

(I'm really going by what I remember of Bellaire - so those "in the know" - please correct me if I am totally off base!)

Last edited by Watchful; 02-28-2023 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-28-2023, 11:26 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
It's so offensive that people would choose to keep their small houses when they could easily throw a million bucks at a giant, fake Spanish-style McMansion with a postage-stamp backyard.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
It's so offensive that people would choose to keep their small houses when they could easily throw a million bucks at a giant, fake Spanish-style McMansion with a postage-stamp backyard.
It does keep me awake at night

Old 02-28-2023, 02:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Nothing wrong with small original houses...unless the grass is perpetually overgrown, the paint is peeling, the pool is green, there's a car up on blocks in the driveway, and you happen to live next door. They're an endangered species nowadays, but when I lived in west U a little over a decade ago there were a few original homes left that looked like they were ready to collapse on themselves. And no HOAs to enforce deed restrictions (although the City of West U did what they could, they were certainly more responsive than the City of Houston when it came to eyesore/hazardous properties).

I imagine there's a few similar homes in Bellaire. And probably a few in Memorial as well, although they're more likely to be set well back from the street and barely visible.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:04 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Technically Bellaire was for poor farmers and working class folks to begin with - those same houses are in South Park, etc

Sharpstown area was for the snooty folks then

Old 03-26-2023, 06:03 PM

92 posts, read 60,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
Hi all, considering a move to Houston in a year-ish to work at TMC and looking into these neighborhoods. I have two small kids, who will be around K and 2nd grade at that time. Would prefer to live in the city and had the opportunity to drive through Bellaire and West U. It looks like the home prices in these two areas have really exploded - any thoughts on where things might be going? Our budget would probably be 1.5 M for a 4 br. How are the elementary schools in these areas and where do kids generally go for middle/high school? Curious to see if there are any other areas I should be looking for (similar small lots, within ~15 minutes of TMC). Thanks!

Braes Heights/Ayrshire/Old Braeswood are worth a look also. Close to Med Center, zoned to popular Twain Elementary, across the street from West U/Bellaire. Large lots. A bunch of new homes (often built up 5ft+ higher than the dirt). Most people like to stay on the northern streets closer to Holcombe since the bayou is to the south. But almost $500m was spent to reduce flooding...hopefully.. .https://www.hcfcd.org/Activity/Activ...-Project-Brays

Old 03-27-2023, 09:58 AM

28 posts, read 13,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Umm...how do I put this...Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I do believe that in most cases, those lackluster shack-looking houses belong to this "endangered species" segment of society sometimes labeled as "senior citizens" - who have the audacity to remain in their house rather than selling it as a teardown.

Though they may not meet everyone's standards of visual appeal, they often make great neighbors!

(I'm really going by what I remember of Bellaire - so those "in the know" - please correct me if I am totally off base!)
Okay shack was probably too derogatory. I apologize for my use of that word. This is not disparage the people who live within these houses. I'm not from Houston so I have no idea the history of the area or who historically lived there. Seniors, black, white, Hispanic I wouldn't know. But who lives there doesn't change what I saw. It just provides an explanation. They're good people who live in trailer parks, but I'm not building my million dollar home there either. I made the assessment about what I observed. What I don't apologize for is wanting to live in a nice neighborhood. However I define that for myself.

Bellaire is an unattractive hodgepodge of homes. Large homes jammed onto lots way too small next to tiny old homes in need of work. Located in an surrounding area that looks run down and abandoned - like keep your purse close and doors locked. Some people don't mind an eclectic, urban environment. Wasn't my cup of tea, so I warned better take a look at it before you move there; the high price of real estate isn't telling the whole story in that area.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:52 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaflower View Post
Okay shack was probably too derogatory. I apologize for my use of that word. This is not disparage the people who live within these houses. I'm not from Houston so I have no idea the history of the area or who historically lived there. Seniors, black, white, Hispanic I wouldn't know. But who lives there doesn't change what I saw. It just provides an explanation. They're good people who live in trailer parks, but I'm not building my million dollar home there either. I made the assessment about what I observed. What I don't apologize for is wanting to live in a nice neighborhood. However I define that for myself.

Bellaire is an unattractive hodgepodge of homes. Large homes jammed onto lots way too small next to tiny old homes in need of work. Located in an surrounding area that looks run down and abandoned - like keep your purse close and doors locked. Some people don't mind an eclectic, urban environment. Wasn't my cup of tea, so I warned better take a look at it before you move there; the high price of real estate isn't telling the whole story in that area.
Bellaire is pretty safe in a pretty nice part of town. Although far west Bellaire is near a rundown apartment area.

As for the small houses, that is just the original housing stock. Probably worth 500k as a lot. Maybe more.
There has been a lot of rebuilding in Bellaire, West U. and even Tanglewood and Memorial, which had larger, brick homes to begin with. You just don't understand the neighborhood at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston