Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 09:37 AM

30 posts, read 22,784 times

Advertisements

So my sister may be moving from a 610 Apartment (between Main and Kirby) to a house eventually

How much do each of they flood on average? (the most important one)

How safe are they?

What are some of the most (non-highway) busy streets around here? (depending on suburb)

How many 2-lane roads are busy? (the 2nd most important one)

How affordable is the average house from each of these suburbs?

Any good neighborhood suggestions from any of these suburbs? (Apartment or otherwise)
and how far are said neighborhoods from the nearest shopping center?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 76,355 times
That's a pretty big zone

Old 02-12-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbud View Post
That's a pretty big zone
it's like 5 suburban areas

even when i added another or so alongside half of those, only cause they're near each other

Old 02-12-2023, 12:15 PM

561 posts, read 296,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That One 2000's Baby View Post

even when i added another or so alongside half of those, only cause they're near each other
Those 5 suburban areas cover all of West Houston to North Houston (and Southwest + Northwest).

In general, your commute (assuming you work in the Main & Kirby area) will be furthest from Spring, The Woodlands. Most of the areas you mentioned have safe and dodgy areas, but are for the most part safe. Avoid the Spring ISD part of Spring though as it’s not that safe and floods badly. I live closest to the Cypress area and can vouch that Barker Cypress is incredibly busy and I try to avoid it at 5 o clock and in the morning. 1960 is also a busy road with lots of traffic. Plus it’s always under construction.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:58 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
I'd strongly recommend that she pick a suburban area with commute time/proximity to work being a key consideration.

All of those areas have safer/less safe areas, areas with great schools and areas with so-so schools, flood-prone and less-flood-prone areas, etc. I suppose Katy/Cinco and The Woodlands are more consistently safe and "higher-end" than some of the others, but all of those suburbs have subsets that combine good schools with lower flooding risks and relative safety.

Picking between/among these better areas with overall quality of life being a key determinant then comes down to which has the most-palatable commute. If she works near Main and Kirby, then I'd probably start with Pearland or Sugar Land.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:47 PM

91 posts, read 76,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That One 2000's Baby View Post

So how many have you been in?

Which of these has your sister visited? Has friends in these areas?

Old 02-17-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbud View Post
So how many have you been in?

Which of these has your sister visited? Has friends in these areas?
We visited someone's a Katy house once (or two, if you count the area around Westpark Tollway @ FM 1464/S Baker Cypress Rd) and another's house in Spring (around the TC Buster Blvd @ Spring Cypress Rd) both years ago, we use to shop at Pearland a lot of the time, she visits someone's house in Conroe

don't know about Cypress nor Sugar Land tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston