Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 07:51 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
From what I remember, the only reason why the Green/Purple were built like they were is because there was so many blockades to completing the Uni Line west of Greenway, which was vital because without it there would be no LRT Uptown Line. So instead of letting the federal dollars expire Metro put it towards building at least part of what was voter approved.

Dont know why they switched to BRT to LRT in the mid 00s, but they did change back to LRT a year or so after (two at most). They should have held their LRT position though.

If the original inner city LRT plan was built as proposed we wouldnt be having this discussion because it would be one of the more ridden systems in the US. Thats especially true with extensions into the Southwest, Hobby, and IAH. And connecting the airports like IAH, even going through low dense areas, is still important. It wouldnt be about the short segment of lower density but how it would fit with the system. Many in that area work at the airport too. Besides the area wouldnt stay low dense forever.

We'll see how the BRT does. It'll have higher riders than the normal bus lines for sure but the potential is like half of what a rail line would be IMO esp in the inner loop/SW. Still an improvement for sure.
This is why Katy Brt is so important (in my opinion). It will give a more direct sense of ridership between downtown and West Houston. I obviously would prefer LRT right away. But you have to start somewhere. And if transit becomes important to the region, certain portions will eventually transitioned (I’m talking in a handful of decades)

The BRT and LRT map will be integrated; they will both appear as lines on the map (they do the same thing in Pittsburgh and LA). A light rail user can have a cleaner network to see that will get them to Uptown, it’s nothing like riding a westheimer bus in my opinion.

There’s also possibilities for other transport technologies to integrate in the system as well such as higher speed autonomous vehicles being deployed in Israel and China

https://youtu.be/cRF8sz5HC6U

As the entire system enhances, they address things such as conversions, realignment and so forth. And what’s especially true right now is doing nothing is absolutely the wrong answer. Continuous improvement is what we need. Standing still and doing nothing is the worst thing possible. There has been 0 progress in public transport since the north line extension of the red line opened. That needs to stop. We should be consistently be studying and apppying the next move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 10:46 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
There's little to justify saying that LRT (as METRO has deployed it, as enhanced streetcar) will automatically have much higher ridership than exclusive-guideway BRT, and you know it. Please don't purvey such fallacy. What matters is quality of service - frequency, speed, ease of access etc. Don't give me the "but people like the train more" - it will hardly make any difference. The way METRO has built LRT, the only relevant difference is the vehicle capacity.

METRO was still fully planning to implement University when they changed Green and Purple to BRT. They had come to understand that $ would be a constraint, so that's why they chose to make the switch - so that they would have $ to get University done as LRT. University Line planning and design continued. Then they switched back, and by the time that the political problems with University were resolved (in part by voting Culberson out), there was not enough $ left to continue to ROW acquisition and line construction.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:10 AM

I’m in between on this one.

On one hand, you have to consider the fact that Katy BRT is the first extensively grade separated project in the system. Meaning this particular line wouldn’t be the “enhanced street car” you’re referring to.

But that said, you can’t have LRT by doing nothing. There are clear improvements needed and we need to jump on it. LRT can happen later whether by conversions or new lines or technological shifts in transportation. Sitting still is the worst option, roll out the BRT for now and get the infrastructure built.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:29 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
But that said, you can’t have LRT by doing nothing. There are clear improvements needed and we need to jump on it. LRT can happen later whether by conversions or new lines or technological shifts in transportation. Sitting still is the worst option, roll out the BRT for now and get the infrastructure built.
I hate to say this but I agree with mariguanero

Old 03-14-2023, 05:31 PM

834 posts, read 454,358 times
Quote:

On one hand, you have to consider the fact that Katy BRT is the first extensively grade separated project in the system. Meaning this particular line wouldn’t be the “enhanced street car” you’re referring to.

100 percent agree. Wish I could rep.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:19 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:

I agree - Katy BRT will be our first actual "rapid" urban transit line (not counting P&R which is purely commuter service). The downside could be station location and access - how this is handled is critical, especially since there will be so few stations. Will the Memorial Park station (which wasn't even included initially!) actually offer safe and comfortable access into the park across the nightmare of the freeway feeder and excessively wide Washington / Westcott thoroughfare? Same question for the other stations.

You also make a key point about BRT vs LRT - because of the cost difference and some other considerations, we can actually do more with BRT, sooner. Given the amount of transit catchup needed in Houston, we should take full advantage of that, and also do as good a job as possible. If volumes grow enough, conversion to LRT can happen later. As it is, BRT can represent a giant leap over the basic local bus service we have now.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:00 AM

679 posts, read 274,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I agree - Katy BRT will be our first actual "rapid" urban transit line (not counting P&R which is purely commuter service). The downside could be station location and access - how this is handled is critical, especially since there will be so few stations. Will the Memorial Park station (which wasn't even included initially!) actually offer safe and comfortable access into the park across the nightmare of the freeway feeder and excessively wide Washington / Westcott thoroughfare? Same question for the other stations.

https://www.ridemetro.org/about/metr...rridor-project

Take the aerial tour.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Or simpler than that, just post link to video

https://youtu.be/qRB7M3I9_kQ

Old 03-15-2023, 11:36 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I am not going to be hard on the Afton Oaks residents. Running rail down Richmond would be horrible for their neighborhood, and would remove the esplanade with older trees. There would be little benefit for them overall.
Why horrible? Originally it would have run right down the existing median on Richmond, and there would not have even been any stops planned between Weslayan and 610. There were already thousands of cars, buses, and trucks that use Richmond every day.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:15 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Why horrible? Originally it would have run right down the existing median on Richmond, and there would not have even been any stops planned between Weslayan and 610. There were already thousands of cars, buses, and trucks that use Richmond every day.
They would lose the trees on the median, which is a loss to everyone in the City. There would no turns across the tracks to get to the other side. So if someone lives on the North side of Richmond, and is heading east on the street, they would have to go many blocks out of their way to get to their home. And, with no stops near by, the Afton Oaks residents would get zero benefit from the project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston