Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2023, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 452 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a little confuse if my child can attend the school we want(within Katy District too), we live in the Katy ISD district but when I use the school zone map and input our specific home address, it shows that based on our address we need to attend some other schools that have bad ratings, my question is that as long as the school is within the same district, does the zip code, county ,Attendance zone, really matter? we live in 77493 and the school we want them to attend is Hayes Elementary School which is in Katy but zip code 77450
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 02:12 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Ignore the ratings. Katy schools are all pretty decent. Your involvement in your child's education is a much bigger influence on success than which school they go to.

Old 03-15-2023, 03:56 PM

564 posts, read 299,066 times
Depends if it’s open enrollment. I know in CFISD most schools are open enrollment and you can move your child to the school of your choice, as long as you provide transportation.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:02 PM

24 posts, read 17,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarota2001 View Post
Hello,

I am a little confuse if my child can attend the school we want(within Katy District too), we live in the Katy ISD district but when I use the school zone map and input our specific home address, it shows that based on our address we need to attend some other schools that have bad ratings, my question is that as long as the school is within the same district, does the zip code, county ,Attendance zone, really matter? we live in 77493 and the school we want them to attend is Hayes Elementary School which is in Katy but zip code 77450
You cant. Buy another house if you want to go to a different school.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:42 PM

5,623 posts, read 4,953,183 times
Is your zoned school not offering a specific academic program you need for your child? I'm having trouble understanding why switching from one suburban school to another would make a difference.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:50 AM

332 posts, read 261,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarota2001 View Post
Hello,

Katy ISD is similar to HISD in that your children must attend your zoned school unless you successfully apply for a transfer to another school within the district. So yes - attendance zone does matter; you can't just pick and choose where to send your kid.

I tend to agree with previous posters - parts of Katy north of 10 (including 77493) are generally less desirable and have lower ranked schools than those south of 10, but I really wouldn't consider anything in KISD "bad." Your support and involvement in your child's education is far more valuable than sending them to a highly-ranked school.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,917,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Katy ISD is similar to HISD in that your children must attend your zoned school unless you successfully apply for a transfer to another school within the district. So yes - attendance zone does matter; you can't just pick and choose where to send your kid.
To further elaborate, KISD does not allow transfer requests "just because". Basically it boils down if a student is being bullied, the parent feels the student's academic needs are not being met, or a campus has a specific program not offered at a student's home campus.

Here is further information regarding KISD transfer requests.

https://www.katyisd.org/cms/lib/TX50...20Brochure.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston