Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 07:28 AM

15,476 posts, read 7,529,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
One has to distinguish between the nice suburbs, and the City of Houston itself. If you live in the far suburbs, or master planned communities, yes, it is nice. I have been here 40+ years, and I love the diversity, but Houston is not only 'butt' ugly, it is 'fugly'.

If you come in to Houston via any airport, or any highway and head towards downtown, you will see blight. You will see filth and trash on the streets and feeder roads that make the roads look like the entrance to the city dump. Just trashy as hell, and all you have to do is drive a few miles along any freeway and you will see the trash strewn about. The governor was just saying out loud what many of us see, but never bother discuss out loud.

My pet peeve of Houston has always been the massive amount of wires. Too many wires hung about, that alone makes the city look like awful. You don't pay attention to it because you are driving, but if you ever walk around the city (which many never do), you will notice it. It is expensive to bury the power lines, but it can be done.

And before anyone comes up with 'the water table is too shallow', or 'it rains too much', that is just nonsense. Not all of Houston is ugly, but what a visitor sees who never has been here, is ugly, no getting around that truth.
Burying power lines costs from $1 million to $5 million per mile, and is paid by the customers. Burying lines in Houston would probably double our electric bills, and no one wants to pay that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 08:59 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,768,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Burying power lines costs from $1 million to $5 million per mile, and is paid by the customers. Burying lines in Houston would probably double our electric bills, and no one wants to pay that.
How would this double the bills when the customer(developer/city) is paying for it? The Bridgeland development paid to have underground lines and I’m sure their electric bills are no more than anywhere else. Underground lines been around for years, unfortunately the Houston area don’t have many developers with that mindset. Don’t get me started on the lack of quality planning in this region.

On another note, to those who always try to use the “it’s every city” excuse in order to minimize the truth, need to get out more and free your mind lol

Old 04-15-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
How would this double the bills when the customer(developer/city) is paying for it? The Bridgeland development paid to have underground lines and I’m sure their electric bills are no more than anywhere else. Underground lines been around for years, unfortunately the Houston area don’t have many developers with that mindset. Don’t get me started on the lack of quality planning in this region.

On another note, to those who always try to use the “it’s every city” excuse in order to minimize the truth, need to get out more and free your mind lol
Replacing the overhead lines that already exist in the City of Houston would not be paid for by the City. The lines are owned by Centerpoint, and Centerpoint gets to recover those costs from the people using electricity.

The newer developments have had underground lines from the start, and it is much cheaper to do that than it is to replace existing overhead lines with buried ones. And, it's not just the power lines, there's also a bunch of cable and internet lines on those poles as well.

Who do you think would do the planning in the unincorporated areas? Not the counties, they just about zero power to regulate development.

Old 04-15-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Replacing the overhead lines that already exist in the City of Houston would not be paid for by the City. The lines are owned by Centerpoint, and Centerpoint gets to recover those costs from the people using electricity.

Again, "IF" the lines were to be buried in city limits, ultimately the city would be responsible for covering the cost. Centerpoint would not increase the cost of delivery.

The newer developments have had underground lines from the start, and it is much cheaper to do that than it is to replace existing overhead lines with buried ones. And, it's not just the power lines, there's also a bunch of cable and internet lines on those poles as well.

Good developers with some kind of pride in their product typically will go this direction

Who do you think would do the planning in the unincorporated areas? Not the counties, they just about zero power to regulate development.

The developer will take on the cost and pass it on to the sale of the lots. Centerpoint would not increase the cost of delivery, not sure where you're getting this from.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post

Again, "IF" the lines were to be buried in city limits, ultimately the city would be responsible for covering the cost. Centerpoint would not increase the cost of delivery.

Good developers with some kind of pride in their product typically will go this direction

The developer will take on the cost and pass it on to the sale of the lots. Centerpoint would not increase the cost of delivery, not sure where you're getting this from.
No, the City of Houston does not bear any responsibility to pay for burial of power lines. None. Zero. Zip. Why do you think the City would be responsible for the cost of burial? The power lines have nothing to do with the City.

If existing overhead power lines are buried, the ratepayers bear the costs. Not any government, not any developer, it's ratepayers.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:52 PM

390 posts, read 390,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
One has to distinguish between the nice suburbs, and the City of Houston itself. If you live in the far suburbs, or master planned communities, yes, it is nice. I have been here 40+ years, and I love the diversity, but Houston is not only 'butt' ugly, it is 'fugly'.

If you come in to Houston via any airport, or any highway and head towards downtown, you will see blight. You will see filth and trash on the streets and feeder roads that make the roads look like the entrance to the city dump. Just trashy as hell, and all you have to do is drive a few miles along any freeway and you will see the trash strewn about. The governor was just saying out loud what many of us see, but never bother discuss out loud.

My pet peeve of Houston has always been the massive amount of wires. Too many wires hung about, that alone makes the city look like awful. You don't pay attention to it because you are driving, but if you ever walk around the city (which many never do), you will notice it. It is expensive to bury the power lines, but it can be done.

And before anyone comes up with 'the water table is too shallow', or 'it rains too much', that is just nonsense. Not all of Houston is ugly, but what a visitor sees who never has been here, is ugly, no getting around that truth.
I'm from SoCal and I visit Houston regularly and I think Houston is quite pretty. Yes coming from the airport is not so attractive especially hardy toll road and 59, but to me I find Houston to be quite pretty especially like the past 7 or so years. I think the skyline is nice and tall and it's a really clean downtown. Uptown Houston is very modern looking with nice high rises and the palm trees make it look even nicer. I also like the memorial area and energy Corridor. I also like the Heights and musuem district area. I think Houston could use some better architecture inside the city but I think that's already happening with the newer projects under construction. The overhead lines and the cracked sidewalks and raggedy streets make it look ugly but from an outsider I think Houston looks significantly better now than years ago

Old 04-15-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
No, the City of Houston does not bear any responsibility to pay for burial of power lines. None. Zero. Zip. Why do you think the City would be responsible for the cost of burial? The power lines have nothing to do with the City.

If existing overhead power lines are buried, the ratepayers bear the costs. Not any government, not any developer, it's ratepayers.
Centerpoint will maintain and upgrade the lines, but will not put the lines underground on their own dime.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,064,811 times
I don't think Houston is particularly ugly compared to other big cities (Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, NYC etc), but I do agree with the other posters about the trash. To me, that's a bigger issue than any design feature of the city. You get rid of the trash the city looks significantly better without touching a single building or power line.

People that litter are frankly quite scummy to me. Just shows a lack of pride in where you live and general laziness.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:51 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,245,561 times
A lot of Houston reminds me of a world class city in a third world country. Parts are really nice, with lots of restaurants, activities, and amenities, with a lot "upscale", but very large parts of it are ugly and unsafe, compared to the newer Midwestern cities, like Columbus, Indianapolis, or Kansas City, which has very large portions as typical family friendly non-upscale middle class of mostly law abiding citizens.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
A lot of Houston reminds me of a world class city in a third world country. Parts are really nice, with lots of restaurants, activities, and amenities, with a lot "upscale", but very large parts of it are ugly and unsafe, compared to the newer Midwestern cities, like Columbus, Indianapolis, or Kansas City, which has very large portions as typical family friendly non-upscale middle class of mostly law abiding citizens.
Which parts are unsafe? There's nowhere in Houston I won't go in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: