Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 10:37 PM

28 posts, read 25,921 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Houston area and noticed that, for example, Conroe and Montgomery ISD start classes around August 9-10 and then finish around Memorial Day.

Houston ISD starts and finishes a few weeks later.

I grew up in New England, school was generally from around Labor Day until late June.

I was just wondering why school districts in the Houston area would choose to go back in early to mid-August. Isn't that some of the hottest/worst weather of the year? Why do parents/teachers commit themselves to being in the area in early to mid-August instead of starting and ending the school calendar a few weeks later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 01:42 PM

190 posts, read 211,700 times
I think the Texas school year is based roughly around the summer harvest season. I think wheat has to come up early in June because of the heat.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
I think all the western states have similarly early summer schedules. The East Coast is more of an outlier in this.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
In my experience ...it's several things.

1 - Air conditioning. In my younger years I went to school in Houston and some of the buildings still did not have a/c. We would open the windows. A/C made it easier to start earlier.

2 - Finishing the semester before winter break. When we started later, we would get two weeks off around Christmas and New Year and then have to come back and prepare for the mid-term exams. When the start was moved up, we finished mid-terms before winter break.

3 - I think finishing school year in May makes it easier for graduating seniors who may wish to start summer classes for college.

If I recall correctly, the travel and tourism industry squawked the most about starting earlier!

Old 05-26-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
I think the Texas school year is based roughly around the summer harvest season. I think wheat has to come up early in June because of the heat.
Ah that's interesting. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
In my experience ...it's several things.

1 - Air conditioning. In my younger years I went to school in Houston and some of the buildings still did not have a/c. We would open the windows. A/C made it easier to start earlier.

2 - Finishing the semester before winter break. When we started later, we would get two weeks off around Christmas and New Year and then have to come back and prepare for the mid-term exams. When the start was moved up, we finished mid-terms before winter break.

3 - I think finishing school year in May makes it easier for graduating seniors who may wish to start summer classes for college.

If I recall correctly, the travel and tourism industry squawked the most about starting earlier!
Thank you. Why was the travel and tourism industry opposed to the early start?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:07 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
When school starts earlier, families don't travel as much.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:24 PM

61,664 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Back-to-school dates in the US, vary considerably by state and region.

Generally it looks like this: (there could be slight changes implemented after pandemic, thought)

Explained why here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...ool-dates-u-s/

Old 05-27-2023, 04:26 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Back-to-school dates in the US, vary considerably by state and region.

Generally it looks like this: (there could be slight changes implemented after pandemic, thought)

Explained why here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...ool-dates-u-s/
Seems that the northern/New England and PNW states generally start later - probably due to the weather. Want to take advantage of all the warm weather you can up there.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:49 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
They wanted more time for vacations and family travel I guess! I never really understood it though because you would lose a few weeks of travel time either way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: