Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times

Advertisements

I currently have my temporary AZ nursing license which is good through Oct. 2009. The reason for that is that, since I have been unable to find employment where I currently live (yes, even the RNs here are getting laid off, and there are wayyy too many people who went back to school to be nurses when they lost their blue collar jobs, creating a surplus of nurses here), I have been unemployed for a few years, and the AZ board of nursing requires that I complete a four week refresher clinical rotation before I get my permanent license to work as an RN in AZ.

I was fortunate enough to be chosen from a pool of applicants by the Mayo Clinic in NE Phoenix to complete the clinical refresher there, but that means that for four weeks, I won't be available to be employed elsewhere. After I complete the four weeks at Mayo, I will be free to start (immediately, I hope) working as an RN with my permanent AZ license, which, based on our projected moving date, puts me at about the beginning of August. The problem is that most employers want me to start immediately, and so without a solid job, guaranteed in writing, we won't be able to get a mortgage loan or even get anyone to rent to us.

Any suggestions? Anyone know anyone who would agree to hire me now for a start date in August, contingent upon a successful interview? I am an excellent Med/Surg RN with just under 10 yrs. of solid hospital experience who has never had a disciplinary action taken against me and has received commendations from supervisors, patients, and even a few physicians throughout my career.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
The reason they want you to start immediately is there are a lot of openings and not enough people to fill them. It won't change by August, I don't believe. Nursing is one of the areas projected to add jobs this year. As far as a house, I can't believe you can't find a rental with your skills and situation. There are so many desperate homeowner/speculators who would rent to Atilla the Hun if he could put down a deposit. The bad side of renting though is you will soon know where you will be working and be ready to buy and renting could get you stuck in a lease at a time when the best housing deals may be disappearing from the market. Maybe you could look at one of those extended stay motels for a time. I lived in a motel for a couple months when I first moved to Phoenix. It wasn't too bad except for the hookers on the street.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Well actually, we don't want to rent. We have always owned our own home and, in fact, own rental property ourselves. The only reason I mentioned renting is because I know we have a snowball's chance of getting a mortgage loan without having employment secured out there. Even if we went ahead and moved under the assumption that there would still be nursing jobs for me in August, we just can't take the chance that I wouldn't get hired somewhere at that time. Then we would really be up a creek, since my hubbie is getting nowhere at this point with getting a transfer to his company's Tempe location, even though he has an excellent work record and has been with the company for years. And even if we could rent a house temporarily until I get a job, then we might be stuck in a long term lease, and we would want to buy a house ASAP after securing a job or jobs, KWIM? As far as an extended-stay hotel, I checked out a few of them in good areas such as Gilbert and Scottsdale and they are wayyy pricey, plus, we have two small dogs and two cats.

I guess my thought process is this: If I would make a good employee now, then why wouldn't an employer be willing to wait three months for me to start? I realize that they need help now, but if things are the same in three months (and it's likely that they would be), then why not secure a good employee now, since August is only twelve weeks away?

I am still applying for everything that I can find online. Our daughter needs relief from her severe allergies, and our son is scheduled to begin the Fall semester at ASU but is planning on living at home with us to save a ton of money by not living in the dorm. I don't even know if he could still secure campus housing at this point, and none of us, least of all he, want to pursue that option anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions. : )

Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
The hospitals just don't work that way; a lot of employers don't. They need help now, they either hire it to start now or use temporary (in the case of nurses, pools/registries -- I think they still have such things) to fill in while they look for immediate hires.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM

51 posts, read 159,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Well actually, we don't want to rent. We have always owned our own home and, in fact, own rental property ourselves. The only reason I mentioned renting is because I know we have a snowball's chance of getting a mortgage loan without having employment secured out there. Even if we went ahead and moved under the assumption that there would still be nursing jobs for me in August, we just can't take the chance that I wouldn't get hired somewhere at that time. Then we would really be up a creek, since my hubbie is getting nowhere at this point with getting a transfer to his company's Tempe location, even though he has an excellent work record and has been with the company for years. And even if we could rent a house temporarily until I get a job, then we might be stuck in a long term lease, and we would want to buy a house ASAP after securing a job or jobs, KWIM? As far as an extended-stay hotel, I checked out a few of them in good areas such as Gilbert and Scottsdale and they are wayyy pricey, plus, we have two small dogs and two cats.

I guess my thought process is this: If I would make a good employee now, then why wouldn't an employer be willing to wait three months for me to start? I realize that they need help now, but if things are the same in three months (and it's likely that they would be), then why not secure a good employee now, since August is only twelve weeks away?

I am still applying for everything that I can find online. Our daughter needs relief from her severe allergies, and our son is scheduled to begin the Fall semester at ASU but is planning on living at home with us to save a ton of money by not living in the dorm. I don't even know if he could still secure campus housing at this point, and none of us, least of all he, want to pursue that option anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions. : )
Can you look for a home to rent on a month-to-month basis? I would work with a realtor and see what they can find for you as far as rentals. Or maybe sign only a 6 month lease... You should talk to a mortgage broker - it may turn out that you are requred to be working for 6 months before you can qualify for a loan. Even if you can get one right away, it might take you a month of looking before you found a house to buy, and the process, depending on what type of house you find, may take longer than a 30 day close anyway... Most homes seem to be short sale or foreclosure - short sales take FOREVER, and foreclosures can take more time than you'd think too...

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,110 times
There are plenty of homes that you could rent on a month to month basis so you can easily buy when you are ready. In fact, since the best deals are in short sales right now and the banks taking forever to make a decision, it may be a wise move, so that you can patiently wait for a deal to close, sometimes 60-90 days. I know it's frustrating to not have a job lined up, it's just a sign of the times right now.. Hang in there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area