Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 01:39 PM

225 posts, read 264,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know rankings are overrated and each shows different data, so look at this and judge for yourself.

What would you agree or disagree with:

https://houston.innovationmap.com/be...660593263.html
Taking any list which suggests Killeen as a better place to live than Houston is laughable. A city whose sole purpose is to scam soldiers out of the (tiny) paychecks with pawn shops, financed stereo/rims stores, and check cashing usury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 AM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornHotspur View Post
Taking any list which suggests Killeen as a better place to live than Houston is laughable. A city whose sole purpose is to scam soldiers out of the (tiny) paychecks with pawn shops, financed stereo/rims stores, and check cashing usury.
As a person that grew up in Killeen, I have to agree lol.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:03 AM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Culture and amenities are not as far apart as you might think. Yes, when it comes to density and transit it is no contest. I’ll concede that.
Those amenities tie in with the density. Large high bursts of dense amenities or attractions that has a cohesion throughout the city is where Chicago wins over Houston. Then you add the public transit system along with this and you will see why folks say Chicago has this major advantage over Houston. Houston has great amenities though. But they are like islands that you need to drive to. It is something Houston has to work out.

I don't think Houston passes Chicago within 10 years unless Chicago losing population rapidly increases.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:16 AM

66 posts, read 60,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Houston's growth has slowed somewhat, but it is growing, as opposed to losing population, like Chicago is slowly.

However, Houston pales in comparison to most everything Chicago has to offer, culture, amenity and general infrastructure/density/transportation, etc.

Houston's climate can be a swamp in the summertime. Chicago can be glorious in the summer. Granted, Houston in the winter is really mild, whereas Chicago can be a frozen tundra at times with -10 degree windchill.

So both have pros and cons. But all in all, Chicago has Houston beat when it comes to many areas of status for a city their size.
Houston has the second largest # of theater seats in the US behind NYC, it's one of the few cities that has permanent resident companies in all major performing arts disciplines (Houston Ballet, Opera, Symphony Orchestra, the Alley Theatre), we have many major Broadway shows, the Museum District has every museum you would want, and we have plenty of parks that are only getting better year after year due to help from the Kinder Foundation. We also all know the food scene is worthy of at least one or two Michelin star restaurants as well. I hate to be a homer but this tired assumption that Houston pales to culture of a place like Chicago is getting old and not based in fact.

Old 05-22-2024, 12:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,077,328 times
After having visited Chicago and taking a train to the South Side to watch the White Sox, I can easily say no part of Houston is as rough, or dangerous, as South Chicago.

Even the trains were not safe

Old 05-22-2024, 01:41 PM

10,040 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
After having visited Chicago and taking a train to the South Side to watch the White Sox, I can easily say no part of Houston is as rough, or dangerous, as South Chicago.

Even the trains were not safe
Chicago is the most segregated city in the US so this isn’t surprising in the least

Old 05-22-2024, 04:34 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,462,576 times
My reaction is its about time, Chicago weather alone makes is undesirable vs Houston. Density is not a positive to me nor are more high rises. Houstons big issue to me is flooding. LA and Phoenix (to name two) have water issues that should have been addressed years ago. Its a huge climate issue that gets ignored for no good reason.

I like living in a suburb near a large city which is self sufficient for daily needs most of the time.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:24 PM

612 posts, read 296,707 times
After Chicago, I think Houston can pass LA someday

Old 05-22-2024, 05:26 PM

18,157 posts, read 25,399,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Chicago is the most segregated city in the US so this isn’t surprising in the least
Every old city in this country is segregated because of redlining that was pushed by the Federal Housing Authority after WWII

Old 05-22-2024, 05:31 PM

612 posts, read 296,707 times
Quote:
Culture and amenities are not as far apart as you might think. Yes, when it comes to density and transit it is no contest. I’ll concede that.

Quote:
When it happens it will be played down as “oh, Houston grew because of annexation and its city limits are xx bigger than Chicago’s” or DFW will claim it’s the bigger MSA.

In the end nobody from Houston really cares. I don’t know why people are so in love with density. I couldn’t care less about density but I’m focused on anything that improves the quality of life for Houstonians: affordable housing, more parks, more trees and greenery, improving education, supporting the arts, public safety, inclusivity and diversity, tolerance.
Agree. I think Houston is at least Chicago's equal in culture and amenities. As for affordability, I think Houston is the most affordable major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston