Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am from Chicago and will tell you Chicago is far more racist than Houston. Chicago is much better at hiding it. In the Houston area, almost every school district is ethnically diverse. In Chicago, you name the school district and know immediately what race goes to those schools.

EXACTLY the same here in st. louis........ this is probably, if not the most, then one of the most, segregated areas i have ever seen......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
....remember this is still the south. Racist sign referring to Barack Obama causes a stir in Harris County | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080612_tnt_racistobamasign.27bc45a6.html - broken link)

Although I do love living in Katy, there are some places around Houston I would not even consider living in.
Has anyone forgotten that this is still the south? What do you mean by that anyway? It sounds to me like you are insinuating that racism is confined to the southern states. Is that what you are saying?

Before you accuse me of insecurity or imply that your post must have struck a nerve, let me assert that you have indeed struck a nerve. I find your choice of language offensive. You are coloring my home and the people who live here. Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice Pronunciation: \ˈpre-jə-dəs\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicialDate: 13th century 1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2: (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I'm not the least bit surprised that there are parts of Houston that you would "not even consider living in." Just like any other metroplex or city of considerable size, there are areas that are less desirable than others. I suppose you would consider living in any portion of Los Angeles, Chicago or New York?

This isn't new, this isn't unique to this locality and this has no impact on you, Chicken Little.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 AM

48 posts, read 189,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
EXACTLY the same here in st. louis........ this is probably, if not the most, then one of the most, segregated areas i have ever seen......
You're right! Try Kansas City, there are several pretty interesting books on the hyper segregation in that city. Missouri doesn't deal with race that well (not trying to knock it, I lived there)

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I smell african americans . its 'racist' to site the black peoples ways but all fun and dandy to make fun of the white people's ways, right? THAT is sad in 2008
did you guys think you got the correct effect 'for those who are thinking about moving to houston'? time for the sympathy card i guess

btw my bestfriend in houston is african american from NOLA
Ha ha ha ha what? :-) Do you even read the other posts? Ha ha ha What is this business with comedians? What comedians are you even talking about?

And what the hell is "white" culture? ha ha Please? My wife is french and I'm german descent and culturally we have ZERO in common... so what is this white culture? huh? ha ha very funny stuff. Maybe you should get into the comedian biz :-)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Ha ha ha ha what? :-) Maybe you should get into the comedian biz :-)
I get that alot.
can you kindly tell me whats with the info about you and your wife is for? if i'm understanding you, you prefer to be seen with 'german culture' than "american white culture"? you don't want to be balled into one group with mainstream silly drunk dancing ok youre special too. you should have your own "german-american history month" (but you dont). i mean if you really want a more known culture. or you can just hand it to whomever wants to be louder than you, more diversified then you, more 'cultural' than you... but then don't ask me about it if you seem without culture. a classic chicken and egg there
soooo american blacks prefer to be called africans or congolese or nigerians? hmmm i'm not sure if thats gonna work. theyre very sensitive about their past for some reason, well atleast thats what many of us just gave into. unlike the germans, wow, thats huge. gotta be proud of that one ey. And the french wow nice country. hey look, you got something in common.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
What is this business with comedians?
I guess a long time ago stage performances and writings is just subtle with their hidden messages/opinions. well these days its on your face and on basic cable and more influencial to all people. you might want to watch some and get an idea how funny 'racist' things are.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I get that alot.
can you kindly tell me whats with the info about you and your wife is for? if i'm understanding you, you prefer to be seen with 'german culture' than "american white culture"? you don't want to be balled into one group with mainstream silly drunk dancing ok youre special too. you should have your own "german-american history month" (but you dont). i mean if you really want a more known culture. or you can just hand it to whomever wants to be louder than you, more diversified then you, more 'cultural' than you... but then don't ask me about it if you seem without culture. a classic chicken and egg there
soooo american blacks prefer to be called africans or congolese or nigerians? hmmm i'm not sure if thats gonna work. theyre very sensitive about their past for some reason, well atleast thats what many of us just gave into. unlike the germans, wow, thats huge. gotta be proud of that one ey. And the french wow nice country. hey look, you got something in common.
No you don't understand me. What I'm saying is the idea of a common "white" culture is stupid. There is no such thing. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my cultural background. It simply is.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Check out the direct message the OP sent me in retaliation for, I assume, being called Chicken Little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619
Do you really think I give a flying **** what you think, take that posts anyway you want, you may want to stick to posting on the relationship board you ****ing weirdo, you're barking up the wrong tree.
If you don't give a flying **** what I think, what are you doing sending me direct messages telling me I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Or maybe your just insecure. Go **** up a rope, wee man.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Check out the direct message the OP sent me in retaliation for, I assume, being called Chicken Little.
I didn't want to disrespect the board, that's why I PM you instead. Oh'well at least you know how I feel.

btw; Shouldn't you be posting about sex, dating, ect.... on the relationship board?

Last edited by usc619; 06-18-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 PM

75 posts, read 196,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
....remember this is still the south. Racist sign referring to Barack Obama causes a stir in Harris County | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080612_tnt_racistobamasign.27bc45a6.html - broken link)

Although I do love living in Katy, there are some places around Houston I would not even consider living in.
I live in katy too but thats another story..we moved here from AZ where
you are either white or hispanic....black population is less than 5 percent,
20 years ago is was 3 percent maybe less...but i have noticed most of the crime here is black are at least what they show on local news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston