Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times

Advertisements

Gold Dust, I thought you had already bought a house? Hmmm. What is your price range, where is the employment location and what is the desired communte time if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 AM

175 posts, read 939,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'll take a 15-minute drive to work over a 15-minute drive to the freeway to begin my one-hour commute to work in earnest.
Bingo! I live in Hearthstone (close to Copperfield). Traffic is so bad that I refuse to go anywhere near Highway 6 on the weekends. TxDOT has plans for an overpass at the intersection of 529 and Highway 6 but is getting a lot of resistance from residents. Home prices are good because we are seeing little or no appreciation. I'd be out of here in a heartbeat if it weren't for my husband loving this golf course!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 AM

243 posts, read 487,617 times
Copperfield is a very well kept, zoned community with pretty good schools and a wide variety of homes to choose from. I am amazed that even the older, lower priced neighborhoods in Copperfield are well taken care of and still seem to have strong HOA's and people that care about their homes. That area has everything you need retail and restaruant-wise so it's very convenient.

As has been pointed out, the traffic is awful if you have to commute 290 and Highway 6 is bad on the weekends. The area near Copperfield, south of FM-529 has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so that's another negative. Also, I agree that home apprieciation is slow there due to the vast amount of housing stock and the new homes that are constantly being built further west.

Overall, for the price, if you can deal with the traffic, I think it's a pretty good place to live. Given the choice, and for the money, I'd rather live there than another 10 miles out 290 in some new cookie cutter neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappinator View Post
TxDOT has plans for an overpass at the intersection of 529 and Highway 6 but is getting a lot of resistance from residents.
TxDOT has put the SH-6 overpass on hold indefintely due to funding issues and resistance from residents and retail. It's probable that this project will not happen for another 20 years.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:34 PM

175 posts, read 939,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
TxDOT has put the SH-6 overpass on hold indefintely due to funding issues and resistance from residents and retail. It's probable that this project will not happen for another 20 years.

Thanks for the update.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
I prefer Champions, but Copperfield is nice too.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Gold Dust, I thought you had already bought a house? Hmmm. What is your price range, where is the employment location and what is the desired communte time if any?

No house or employment location as of yet! Just renting on the border of the bad south side of FM 529. We really picked the WRONG rental place. We can't wait to get out of it. It's like night and day on HW 6, traveling south at the intersection of FM 529.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:53 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
The area near Copperfield, south of FM-529 has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so that's another negative.
Any idea what caused it to go so downhill? I fear that it may creep north into Copperfield as the years go by.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
No house or employment location as of yet! Just renting on the border of the bad south side of FM 529. We really picked the WRONG rental place. We can't wait to get out of it. It's like night and day on HW 6, traveling south at the intersection of FM 529.

Ahhh, well I guess you should know by now after reading these boards that you need to nail down the work location first.
You seem to concentrating on the West and SW side, do you anticipate this to be the job location?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Any idea what caused it to go so downhill? I fear that it may creep north into Copperfield as the years go by.
Typically, a loose collection of inexpensive, older neighborhoods in suburbia, with weak HOA's become a haven for folks who don't value their properties as much. Add to the fact that there are lots of renters and people who should never be homeowners but are because of the loose operations of the home loan industry for the last 10 years. This drags the schools down too so it's a snowball effect. I am very familiar with this area (Glencarin, Bear Creek) and the transformation from a suburb with good schools and nice neighborhoods to what looks like another country in some areas happenend very quickly (in the last 5 years or so).

As long as Copperfield can maintain a strong HOA base, I think it will be OK. In addition, there are lots of long-time residents in Copperfield who really take pride in their community. However, as these residents chidren grow up and move on to college, the school boundaries change and start to encompass more of the less desirable areas creating a snowball effect for lowering the price of homes and possibly damaging the community. I think it will remian just fine for at least the next 5-7 years though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston