Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm gonna be staying an the Hotel Icon in downtown. I want to know what are some of the best restaurants to eat at near there (maybe like a 3-5 mile radius max). Not talking about the priciest and/or the snootiest, just a great place to eat. Sushi? Electic? Whatever, just somewhere nicer and decent without all the pretense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
That Italian place on Main, Mia Bella, is a good one. I haven't been in a while so hopefully it hasn't "gone downhill" or anything.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Cabo is pretty cool if you also want some night-life mix with dinner. It's in Market Square but it's not really a market. And, it's not a fine dining place but it's really nice on the second balcony.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Thank you for the feedback, I'm going to look these places up right now. Please keep the suggestions coming if you have any.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
you have to try:
The Spindletop
Birraporetti's
Massa's Restaurant

and don't forget Mc Donald's - 777 Walker St (in the tunnels) j/k

Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
If you want to leave downtown a bit - go to Midtown and try out Cyclone Anaya's or El Patio.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
I've heard excellent reviews of Mia Bella.

For lunch, Treebeards for red beans and rice (and butter cake).

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
sorry, jfre81 is not functioning properly at this moment. please try again later.

Last edited by jfre81; 06-25-2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: never mind

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Within five miles of Downtown covers most of the Inner Loop. That said, the options are endless.

Immediately in downtown - yeah, there's a McDonald's in the tunnels and above ground near a Popeye's and a James Coney Island (near Travis@Dallas) if that's your thing. There are two Pappas BBQ locations (one on Smith and one on Pierce) and a Subway or three. No, not the kind you ride in.

Now with the chains (national and local alike) out of the way - you've got several bar and grill-type places that will do a burger to render McDonald's irrelevant whether above or below street level. There's the Spaghetti Warehouse. There's China Garden(?) south of the Toyota Center. There's the Downtown Aquarium if you've got nothing better to spend your money on, as well as a revolving restaurant atop the Hyatt Regency. Aside from those two there aren't a whole lot of gimmicks. Houston restaurants are for locals and frequent business visitors for the most part, and the good ones make you want to come back. Beware - what's supposed to be spicy is going to be. This isn't New Orleans where you'll find restaurants that'll weak-sauce it for the tourists from places where spice doesn't exist. And above all, you don't have to spend a whole lot of cash to eat well. Downtown Houston is still Houston, and food is cheap. Well, for now...

Go down Franklin until it takes a curve and turns into Navigation Blvd., and a couple blocks or so after the road straightens out again and on the right is Ninfas (the original). Tex-Mex was practically invented there.

There's a Vietnamese restaurant (something between a straight-up Vietnamese restaurant and a deli) on Travis in Midtown near the HCC building called Cali Sandwich. Eating out does not get cheaper in Houston than there, and you get every bit of what you pay for. If you're broke and you don't feel like cooking, pull up the cushions and you'll have enough to ride the bus/rail here and get something. Don't say I'll never share a secret with y'all.

There's Niko Niko's (Greek) on Montrose north of Westheimer. Barnaby's on West Gray. A bunch of other spots right around both of those. This is just scratching the surface with some of the better-known stuff.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:20 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
If you do venture out of the downtown area...like say to Kirby @ 59, I would say try the beef fajitas at Lupe Tortilla. I love that Stuff! Man I am hungry...but they are probably closed by now

Lupe Tortilla Mexican Restaurant Location – Houston Texas, Sugar Land & The Woodlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston