Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the local laws are for private fireworks displays? We are in a unincorporated area of Richmond. I'm asking because we have some neighbors that have been "celebrating the 4th" now for 3 nights running. Firecrackers and fireworks are going off starting at about 10:00 pm and running as late as 2:00 am. To add to the problem, we have a dog that is terrified of the noise. I have been giving him a sedative every night but would like to know what the law is so I can politely chat with these neighbors about curtailing their week long celebration to more unobjectable hours.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
I'm sure the police could tell you about the legality on their way to inform the neighbors of the noise complaints they are receiving.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm sure the police could tell you about the legality on their way to inform the neighbors of the noise complaints they are receiving.
You and my husband think alike. As for me....I didn't want to be confrontational right out of the gate since we are the new kids on the block. I thought perhaps it might be better to have a chat with them first before involving the police.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
You may want to consider this as well:

Drought Page (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bro/drought.htm - broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You may want to consider this as well:

Drought Page (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bro/drought.htm - broken link)
Amen to that! We have fields around here that are so dry that they would catch fire and burn very quickly

Does anyone know what the law is for private fireworks? ....or maybe a website address that I could visit that could give me the info?

Sigh...if not I guess I will need to call the police if (or should I say when)the "celebration" continues this evening......

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 AM

It appears the south half and the western extensions of the metro are all severely dry right now. It has taken a lot more effort to keep the lawn green this year compared to the last several but there are still patches missing. (You can tell who uses that fake TruGreen grass paint vs nitrogen ferts.)

Anyway, I'm surprised they haven't restricted fireworks this year, or at least I haven't heard of it. They are always illegal in the city of Houston but it really isn't enforced in Clear Lake. They should be illegal in most city limits, but ok in unincorporated areas. If you drive from unincorporated to incorporated with some sparklers in the trunk, you're looking at a huge ticket.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Looks like I'll be filing a noise complaint with the police tonight. Just talked to the neighbor and was basically told "we always do it this way" and to go pound sand. So much for being nice.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
With the way (incorporated) communities are annexing land there will be no place else to shoot fireworks and **** off the neighbors.

Back in my day, we used to walk uphill in the snow both ways to the fireworks stand and back en route to blowing up mailboxes with bottle rockets on the Fourth. Kids these days don't know what they're missing.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM

My neighbors nor the people on our street do this, but plenty of people around us do. It doesn't really bother me twice a year, as long as they clean up their mess and don't leave it on the street. My dogs really hate it though. But it is a little annoying when people are randomly blasting them year-round, which sometimes happens.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

I don't have a problem with people celebrating the 4th of July - I just sort of would like them to celebrate it on the actual holiday rather than making it a 5 day event.

Then I can plan for when I have to give sedatives to my dog

(and maybe to my husband as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston