Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times

Advertisements

Nope all tires were Z rated...Pilot Sports Were the last Michelin's 245/40/17.
I am waiting for the Pirelli's to wear out before I go back to Michelin.

But the Pole Positions had the lowest trend wear rating ~140 vs 300 for the Michelin's. That makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeshia View Post
Those Pole Positions are soft compound, high performance tires. Sounds like you've switched to some hard compound Michelines...that's why they lasted so long. Any brand of tire that's hard as a rock will, on average, outlive a high performance (sticky) tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Nope no 22s, they are 17s but real Hi performance tires cost money.

next car will be a hundai with 12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ouch, $300 a piece? You rollin on 22s or something?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 AM

95 posts, read 338,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Nope all tires were Z rated...
Speed rating has nothing to do with the stickyness of the tire....

Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeshia View Post
Speed rating has nothing to do with the stickyness of the tire....

Every Z rated tire I've ever dealt with were very sticky (soft) and therefore didn't have any treadwear warranty.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Speed rating and UTOQ are set by the manufacturer and could might as well be all bogus because they don't really compare with each other.
and Falken isn't crap. They're the tire of choice for the SCCA Street Tire racing classes for atleast 5 years in a row beating the more expensive brands. On the track, I even switch from race compound to Falken street tires when it rains.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
I don't think the OP is looking for racing tires. But anyway here's my experience with Falken Ziex on a full-size sedan.

Pros:
Most excellent wet & dry traction.
Very quiet up to 10k miles.

Cons:
Sidewall squishy-ness at OE pressure 32 psi. (This is cured at 40 psi, but isn't the correct pressure for the car.)
Avg 1 mpg decrease in gas mileage.
They wear unevenly and cause the steering to pull after 15k miles.
They are nearly bald at 25k miles.

Good performance or autocross tire. Crap commuter tire. Just my opinion.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Hi y'all, (ex-New Yorker practices Texas-speak <g>)

Thanks again for all the replies. Tstone is correct that I am not looking for racing tires <g>, but I took note of the Falken discussion because my niece just put Falkens (not sure what model/type) on her 2007 Civic. She was going for the minimum $ she could get by on (she may lose her job) but I'll have her keep an eye on them as her mileage creeps up.

My relative is looking into the Vogue tires and whether they may suit my car...but I also am considering the Sam's Club option for the Michelin LTX/MS. Any experience/opinions on using Sam's for tires? I'd probably use the one in Sugar Land just south of the airport on Highway 6.

Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate the time in reading and answering this thread!

P.S. I did do the "quarter test" on my tires, and the front ones definitely fail to cover George's hairline... the rear ones are slightly better, but one of them has the two+ nails, so there you go. If I'm going to get three tires I might as well go for four!

P.P.S. I assume I should have the spare looked at...in a pinch such as a flat does it really matter if it doesn't "match" the new tires? (other than size, of course.)

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Smile Tire decision made, thanks for all the help!

Tstone and everyone else who gave graciously of their time and advice,
I am now the owner of four Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires, which today had a trial by fire (or more appropriately, water) as I drove home in the monsoons from NTB. Tstone you were prescient about the advantage in going to a tire place that does alignments -- I was told my front end needed it. (One always hopes, of course, that one is being told the truth about what the car really needs!) I also needed an air filter...so I let them do it all.

NTB actually had a lower price on the CTs than Sam's Club. I printed out a $40-off-4-tires coupon from the NTB website, which they honored...and I also was fortunate to speak to a very nice Michelin phone rep when I was asking more questions about two Michelin tire choices vs. the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred, which was the runner-up <g>. Maybe that was the magic word (Goodyear) because the rep OFFERED to send me a $60 coupon on Michelin tires! So I will wind up getting $100 off...which was helpful, since I didn't expect the extra alignment and filter charges. It was still a close to four-figure bite on my credit card...but I have decided, a la L'Oreal ads, that "I'm worth it!"

It was so great to have confidence in the car, especially coming home on the river that was Highway 6 for awhile! I went with the Cross Terrains precisely because they were highly rated for wet road traction, and I felt no worries at all.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston