Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,600 times

Advertisements

I moved from chicago 3 years ago. I loved chicago, but the cost of living and the weather was just to much. You will love Houston!!! the people are nice. I Haven't experienced any violence!! The weather is great, i no longer need a coat!!! Don't know where it is!! Welcome to Houston enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 PM

152 posts, read 537,419 times
I just moved from Chicago (South Loop) to Houston (Sugar Land) about 3 weeks ago. So far I really like the city and the move.

Sugar Land is a lot like Naperville, IL in many respects, such as safety, cleanliness, good schools, diversity, amenities. In fact, Naperville is ranked #2 and Sugar Land #3 best city to live in. Sugar Land's advantages are: home prices are about 30-40% of Naperville; and Sugar Land is only 20-25 mi. from downtown vs. Naperville about 35-40 mi.

Other pros of Houston:
- homes are bigger and cheaper
- other living costs are 10-20% cheaper, eg. gas is 30 cents cheaper than Chicago.
- Houston holds its own in terms of foods/restaurants.
- very good highway system; weekday/rush hour traffic is definitely better, and no traffic jams during weekends
- no state income tax
- more diverse and stronger economy overall, with more growth potentials.
- relatively close to other major cities/attractions, e.g. Austin, SA, Dallas, Corpus Cristi/North Padre beach. There's pretty much nothing to see within 7 hrs from Chicago.
- nice people... I think Chicagoans are nice, but Houstonians are even nicer
- more conservative values (in line with my own).

Dislikes:
- lack of public transportation, which means more driving and higher gas expenses
- property taxes (in terms of pct of home value) is high. However, property taxes here are "comparatively" equal to Chicago, ie. a 4,000 sqft home in Chicago will cost you the same property taxes as a 4,000 sqft home in Houston, even though the Houston home costs much less.
- the city of Houston itself is not as "pretty"
- the greater Houston area is a bit more spread out than Chicagoland (not by much though), so you'll be driving a little bit more during the weekends.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSTATES View Post
houston is a very good place to live and katy is just 15 min from downtown houston and a house thats $450,000 in chicago is only $150,000 in katy i want to move there myself /mod cut - remove advert/
If Katy is 15 minutes from downtown Houston, you should be able to move someone's belongings from Chicago to Katy for about $50.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-12-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: orphaned ad removed

Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 AM

433 posts, read 1,930,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
If Katy is 15 minutes from downtown Houston, you should be able to move someone's belongings from Chicago to Katy for about $50.
I'll take it! $50 cash, come to my house in September.

revive- that was a great comparison (between Sugar Land and Naperville)- THANK YOU!!! Now we just need to transport the Riverwalk from Naperville to downtown Sugar Land and I will feel at home.
We are probably moving to Sugar Land in September.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
lol. Seems Chicagoans are starting to rival Californians on who can take over the Houston area all of a sudden. My peoples in Houston call me everytime and tell me about the Illinois plates down there. Pretty good. I guess Houston is to Chicago like Atlanta is to New York.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM

142 posts, read 999,618 times
I'm originally from chicago, lived in Naperville...after living in a few different states and now settling in Houston (spring/woodlands).. I love it!! The Woodlands has a Naperville/Oakbrook feel to it.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. Seems Chicagoans are starting to rival Californians on who can take over the Houston area all of a sudden. My peoples in Houston call me everytime and tell me about the Illinois plates down there. Pretty good. I guess Houston is to Chicago like Atlanta is to New York.
I've been noticing a lot of Illinois plates lately, too.

It's great!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
The Woodlands has a Naperville/Oakbrook feel to it.
Oh no, Naperville feel? Guess I better pick Katy or see if I can afford West Houston to get closer to the Arlington Heights feel I desire.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times
League City in SE Houston feels a lot like Arlington Heights.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
Default Just moved from Chi-town

Finally got unpacked, but now I have a ton of paper work to shred. I found [URL]http://www.shreddinghouston.net[/URL]

Has anyone used them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston