Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 AM

136 posts, read 894,271 times

Advertisements

I have seen and I understand the real problem of illegal immigration but think about what you are saying when you say they should do it the legal way. There is no way that family with the kids in rags that sell trinkets are going to get into the country legally. They have no money. They can't afford to get a lawyer to help them with the ins and outs off legal immigration. The United States government is not going to legally take in immigrants that will go straight to the welfare rolls. They are looking for people with money to bring with them into the country. So you either have to have money or claim refugee status and unfortunately just being poor doesn't cut it.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM

759 posts, read 3,185,300 times
The USA is one of the last countries in the world left that grants automatic citizenship for Anchor babies. Even Canada does not do this. They have a point system. (education, job need, etc.) We have enough people on welfare already. We do not need to keep expanding this program with illegal immigration. and most illegals do not have the 1 or 2 children. They have 3-7!!! On the news they said the average illegal immigrant family has 3.7 children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
I have seen and I understand the real problem of illegal immigration but think about what you are saying when you say they should do it the legal way. There is no way that family with the kids in rags that sell trinkets are going to get into the country legally. They have no money. They can't afford to get a lawyer to help them with the ins and outs off legal immigration. The United States government is not going to legally take in immigrants that will go straight to the welfare rolls. They are looking for people with money to bring with them into the country. So you either have to have money or claim refugee status and unfortunately just being poor doesn't cut it.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM

226 posts, read 1,126,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
How can school districts not require birth certificates for enrollment into classes? Seems that would be the easiest way to curb the issue?
I am thinking that there are children of illegal immigrants who are naturalized citizens, so they, the children, will have no problem with attaining schooling anywhere.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,076 times
The one positive about Hispanic immigrants is that second and third generation often become educated and productive citizens.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
I don't think the question on anyones mind has ever been "Why do they come here".

If you've been inside of central Mexico... you'd know why. Take a drive through it like I did a few years ago. Kids wear rags, in hut villages and kick old battered coffee cans around for entertainment. I saw a 10-11 year old girl piggy-backing her 5-7 year old brother down a dirt road selling trinkets to folks driving by - the issue was they had no water and there wasn't a town or house within 2 miles on either end. No, I am not exaggerating one slight bit. I witnessed some real back road towns and saw what they had - nothing. So if there is a single chance they could get a 10% better life, I am sure they would let alone a 100,000% better one.

I'm not defending it either, but as an immigrant myself I can understand coming to the US for a better life. I just happened to do it the legal and respectable way. I paid my dues... oh did I ever.
I can vouch for that, occdn. As a family, my parents used to take us to Mexico every year, and we'd stop in many cities such as Chihuahua, Durango, San Louis Potosi, Torreon, Zacatecas, Parral, Mexico DF, Cuernavaca and Acapulco! My parents had family in Durango, and DF.

In between these towns were the small villages you mention. And as odd as this may sound, I have fond memories of those villages, and their people. It never occurred to me as a kid that they were poor, I just thought of them as "farmers".

I always knew we were approaching a village, by the smell of smoke in the air. Now I know this is how they cooked, they just were not burning wood for the heck of it. They truly are very poor people in the interior.

They have only dirt roads, no central water as you said, and not toilets. You also forgot to mention how the women collect firewood, and balance those clay pots on their heads, meanwhile strapping an infant on their back.

I recall my dad getting low on gas once, we stopped in the middle of nowhere and the guy filled up the tank, however, he did not want cash, he wanted food! My mom gave him almost all our food we took for that day trip, plus a bag of my jelly beans! The man was very happy. I'll never forget that.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

136 posts, read 894,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
The one positive about Hispanic immigrants is that second and third generation often become educated and productive citizens.
Given that they get a decent education!!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

94 posts, read 278,224 times
I really didn't want to get into an immigration debate. Frankly I hate the topic in general. I am white, I speak perfect English and I am educated. But as soon as anyone finds out I was born in another country, I am met with prejeduce and anger. I really don't think the topic can ever be met with agreement or closure from any angle due to:

1) The complexities of immigration law
2) Pure racial tension and hatred from BOTH sides of the borders
3) Inability for our lawmakers to do ANYTHING productive

In the end we are stuck with what we have, and as was mentioned above... Anchor babies pose a serious issue but it is in the constitution so what can you do.

It is estimated that illegal immigration costs as much as 250billion dollars per year to the taxpayer.

Anyway... debate aside I did get the answer to my question.. so I shall leave the rest to you folks.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
occdn, debate aside, here is somewhat comforting information.

Most people responded regarding landscaping labor, not landscaping in all apects. Therefore, know that we paid US$2500.00 for a landscape design, no labor whatsoever. So if you are a landscape designer/architect, and have references, or portfolio to back up your designs, then there is a good market for that. Houston does have some very upper-scale neighborhoods that hire landscape architects.

Regards

Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM

94 posts, read 278,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
occdn, debate aside, here is somewhat comforting information.

Most people responded regarding landscaping labor, not landscaping in all apects. Therefore, know that we paid US$2500.00 for a landscape design, no labor whatsoever. So if you are a landscape designer/architect, and have references, or portfolio to back up your designs, then there is a good market for that. Houston does have some very upper-scale neighborhoods that hire landscape architects.

Regards
That's fantastic info, thank you.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
There is no way that family with the kids in rags that sell trinkets are going to get into the country legally. They have no money.

So where do they get the thousands to pay coyotes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: