Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,563 times

Advertisements

We will be staying near the Convention Center this weekend and we are wondering where a family could get some good eats within walking distance from the Hilton Americas property?

The reason for DT was the hotels were cheap through Priceline, according to a Priceline bidding help website. I got it for $55 per night, and the AAA rate was $175/night. I figure that will leave us some left over money for some nice mid-priced meals. Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
The Park shops/ Houston center (mall) corner of Lamar and San Jacinto. might want to explore the shops in the tunnel system too

Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 AM

106 posts, read 307,272 times
I thought the tunnels were closed on weekends?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
We will be staying near the Convention Center this weekend and we are wondering where a family could get some good eats within walking distance from the Hilton Americas property?

The reason for DT was the hotels were cheap through Priceline, according to a Priceline bidding help website. I got it for $55 per night, and the AAA rate was $175/night. I figure that will leave us some left over money for some nice mid-priced meals. Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
The new park by the Convention Center has a little hotdog-hamburger place in it called the Lakehouse. It's really good quality for what it is... kobe beef hotdogs, for example. Plus it's a lovely park, so you could go in the early evening when it's a bit cooler, enjoy the park with the family, and eat for under $30 for the family.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,933 times
There is a decent Italian place called Josephine's a few blocks down.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
The Shops at Houston Center
The Shops At Houston Center

The Aquarium (maybe a good walk)

Hard Rock Cafe (maybe that's not family friendly also a good walk eh iono)

The Lake House (right in front of the Hilton)
Discovery Green Houston Downtown Park - See. Touch. Hear. Taste. Explore.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
The park shops is a mall food court and the tunnel is closed on weekends.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,613 times
Lots of restaurants listed here but I'm not sure how current it is - might be wise to call beforehand as there are probably a fair number not opened on the weekend. $ - $$$$

Restaurants Near George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston | MyTravelGuide.com

Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM

This is great! Thanks for the tips.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM

We had a great weekend! Trying to tie the thread off in case someone hits it during a search.

We could walk to the Four Seasons from Hilton Americas, and get into the Houston Center, but actually ate there only on Saturday morning, and Monday morning. Ninfa's was OK, but the scrambled eggs were the "boil/cook in the bag" variety, only because it was Saturday, and they served breakfast for one hour. The refried beans and tortillas are homemade, and delicious. The salsa was a little too liquid, but again homemade.

Monday we ate breakfast at Chick-Fil-A in Houston Center. Won't ever do that again, not our preference.

Josephines was simply delicious, we ate there twice! We found a Chipolte in the Medical district, and also had Spaghetti Wharehouse, which is way too much food, but again really good and reasonable. The Kids meals are priced that way, but are almost full size. If I had known that, well... Nevermind, I am too old to order off the kid's menu now.

All in all, Sunday was the toughest day to find food, but found a McDonald's open next to the Greyhound station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: