Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM

84 posts, read 333,514 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Well, I just booked a flight to Houston and am considering making a move to the Midtown area. I would like to stay as close as possible to that area during my stay so I can get a feel for day to day life there.

Does anyone have any reasonable hotel recommendations for the Midtown area?

Thanks in advance, I'm really looking forward to visiting!

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I don't recall there being any hotels in midtown. However, the hotels in downtown proper would fit the bill, as would those along 59 between downtown and 610 on the west side. Ofter there are some good deals on weekend rates as these hotels cater to the business customer. Try your hand at priceline!

Each area would have you in midtown in a matter of minutes.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
I think there is a Marriott Residence Inn on Main St. You can hop on the rail and over to Midtown (McGowen stop) in a couple of stops. Cab fares are very cheap between there and midtown ($5 or less). There is also a Best Western on Dallas St. but not in the best neighborhood.

Midtown doesn't yet have any hotels actually in Midtown, which is still peculiar to me. Have fun!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Hotel Zsa Zsa.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Hotel ZaZa is pricey - nice but pricey so depends if you want upscale or budget. If budget - I'd look downtown as another poster suggested.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

How far is the Galleria from Midtown? Is it walkable?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
I don't think you would want to pick Hotel ZaZa because it's not exactly in the center of Midtown, though it is a great hotel, not to mention a very pricey one. If you wanted to stay there, I would say try and get in with some of the people who work there! I just helped a lady who worked there pick out a fabulous work outfit at my job.

And Midtown is not even close to The Galleria--not at all walkable. It takes about 30 minutes by bus and 10 minutes driving. I don't know, and don't want to know how long it would take to walk.

The reason why Midtown doesn't have any hotels is because it is still an up-and-coming area. I mean I just walked home from my job through Midtown. It's a little undeveloped and trashed in some parts, but once it gets gentrified out, it will be a great place to live. In any case, I would probably go with something closer to the Downtown side of Midtown.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 08-06-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30somethings View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

How far is the Galleria from Midtown? Is it walkable?

It's probably about 7 miles. I would not at all recommend making the walk. Hotel Zsa Zsa is cool and has a club inside. I do recommend it, but it's not what of the budget selections. If you get a car, it may be less expensive than the roundtrip cab fare and parking in Houston is very easy.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Just booked a 4 star hotel downtown through Priceline's name your own price service for $90 a night.

Looks like it will be a 15 minute walk to Midtown from the hotel, but I'll have to walk under the highway. Is it safe to make that walk during the day? I'm assuming that I should take a cab at night.

Lance

Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30somethings View Post
Just booked a 4 star hotel downtown through Priceline's name your own price service for $90 a night.

Looks like it will be a 15 minute walk to Midtown from the hotel, but I'll have to walk under the highway. Is it safe to make that walk during the day? I'm assuming that I should take a cab at night.

Lance
The (perceived) safety depends on what part of the highway you're walking under. I think the downtown hotel is a great choice. I don't particularly like walking under the highway on Fannin or Main, because of the people who hang out around the Greyhound and other bus depots, but if you're close (or it's hot) you can take the rail through on Main and avoid that--it would definitely serve to heighten your experience. During the day I don't think it would be a real problem in either case, but I would suggest the rail at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston