Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM

246 posts, read 895,192 times

Advertisements

My neighbour's house was broken in yesterday. While nobody inside the house, the thieves power off and break the circuit outside the house and think the alarm was not working. Of course, the alarm has backup power, and when thieves broke the backyard window, and then walked in, the alarm was sounding. Then, they flew out. My question is how to prevent similar thing happen to me?

1) How to prevent people breaking the backyard windows? Can we install the metal door instead?

2) Which home alarm system is better? ADT? nextalarm? They all connected to police station when alarm is activated?

3) Do we need to install the sensors in every windows?

4) Why thieves think there is money in the house? Nowadays, few people keep money inside the house? They want to take LCD or electronic stuffs?

5) How to choose the low crime community? People said the price of house >250-300K can ensure the safety of community? Gate community is good? People can follow someone when entering the gate!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
how about revolving lights?

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM

246 posts, read 895,192 times
No one has idea how to solve the problem? Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
The price of the neighborhood won't protect you unfortunately.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
A big, mean dog generally works well. Mom lives in Gunspoint and while her neighbors have been broken into, no one wants to face her doberman in person.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:27 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The price of the neighborhood won't protect you unfortunately.
I would assume that thievs would want to rob a wealthy neighborhood....why go where other thievs live?....

Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I have ADT and I have a sensor on every door and window and of course the battery back up power you speak of. There is also an option to have a cell phone dial up so if our phone lines are cut or down it can still call in an alarm.

ADT also has glass breakage sensors you can have installed, I think they are a good idea in an area where you have alot of windows OR sliding glass doors.

I believe in having curtains at every window so no one can look in and see something that tempts them.

I leave lights on outside all night AND a couple lamps on inside so its imposible to tell if someone is up or not. If we are gone all day, I leave a radio or TV as well.

I have made it known in my neighborhood that I have a gun and plan on shooting if need be, I have NO problem doing so if someone breaks into my home or makes the mistake of trying to accost me on my own property. We have had problems with a peeping tom in our neighborhood and he has been to our house as well, scratching on my daughters window, knocking trying to get her too look out. I have gone out at times with my spotlight and weapon in hand to make sure whatever noise I heard wasn't him.

I have the suspicion that some of what is going on in my area is down to teenagers, I am hoping the info that I will shoot someone if need be will filter down to them and I will become known as a the crazy one on our road.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
I would assume that thievs would want to rob a wealthy neighborhood....why go where other thievs live?....

Well we all know that there are many people in "bad" neighborhoods who have much nicer cars, clothes, jewels, and electronics than folks in the "wealthy" neighborhoods.

How to prevent burglary in Houston? How would you prevent burglary anywhere?

Well for starters, I have Brinks which was installed ''free'' with a contract of $30+tax / month for 3 years. I've never had a problem so I don't know how good this actually works. The home owner insurance discount is about $10/mo for having this.

My neighbors two deep on both sides of me are home nearly all day -- stay at home moms or retirees -- so that can't hurt either.

Eventually I want to get Larson security doors for the front and back. These are full glass, triple deadbolt, and double paned with this gel in the middle that sticks to the glass if someone tries to break it. They look nice, too and run about $500/ea installed (Lowes). Another idea would be double paned storm windows. These solutions are mainly energy savers but it's harder to break past two panes of glass compared to one.

If you move to a place that is known for burglaries, you're basically asking for it. Do some research and then move to an area that doesn't get hit as often. One place to avoid is the Medical Center, which has been going through a rash of burglaries recently, but they were having the same problem when I lived there in '03 and '04.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post

A dangerous assumption to make. Look at the HPD statistics to prove this.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
ITA with having a big dog. Then put those "Beware of Dog" signs on your gate to the backyard.
Actually, I'm working on a new alarm system that when you enter the home, it sounds like a rabid, snarling, ferocious dog is about to attack you, and then a voice from upstairs says "Buck, get your gun!" lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: