Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times

Advertisements

Topaz, if you get home and still don't have power but you buy the generator, DM me about the AC unit. Temps are actually not bad AT all right now, beautiful night with all the neighbors out on the culdesac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Topaz, if you get home and still don't have power but you buy the generator, DM me about the AC unit. Temps are actually not bad AT all right now, beautiful night with all the neighbors out on the culdesac.
Thanks, sbhubbell, I will. It is beautiful weather in Austin tonight, too. My children played outside today and this evening for about 7 hours. They think this hurricane evacuation stuff is much better than our normal routine.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Guy from centerpoint was on TV last night and it was quite interesting. He was saying what order things are repaired (guess in terms of easiest to most difficult).

First: Circuit (supplies 1,000+ homes)
Second: Line Fuses
Third: Transformers
Fourth: Line drop to your house

That is the order things are repaired so how soon depends upon which of those is your problem; however, if trees and lines are down in yards and streets blocking these things then they take longer to get to them. Our problem was a circuit (and we just got power yesterday) which is the first on the list. I thought ours would be a relatively easy fix - we had no downed lines or trees in our area. Good luck Topaz - hope you get it soon.
Here is a useful link to CenterPoint's outages updates:

CNP - Outage and Restoration Updates (http://centerpointenergy.com/staticfiles/ike/outages.html - broken link)

Unfortunately, my daughter's house area is still at 100% out.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 AM

161 posts, read 474,362 times
This is probably a really dumb question, and there is almost certainly a logical reason - but in an area with such exposure to hurricanes, why are the power lines not underground?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
This is probably a really dumb question, and there is almost certainly a logical reason - but in an area with such exposure to hurricanes, why are the power lines not underground?
Because then flooding would be an issue? I don't know, either, but that would be my guess. Or perhaps the cost.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
Cost is most likely the reason. Digging holes in the ground for miles and miles is not cheap. Because of the moisture and other elements, anything placed underground have to be waterproof and tough, thus making it more costly. But I believe we will see more underground power lines in the future. The power company that distributes power to the medical center proudly mentioned that power was never lost in part because that system is underground. My side of the street has an underground system and lost power briefly. The other side does not and is still without power right now.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-17-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:33 AM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
What I did to help out was to charge large computer UPS batteries. These things where able to power a fridge for about 2 hours. then swapped them out with other ones. But I am sure a car DC/AC converter will do the trick. However make sure you check the load rating on the device...last thing you want is a Kentucky Fried electrical system in a car!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM

We are getting ready to leave Austin and I'm having second thoughts about buying the generator. I'm good at a lot of things but anything mechanical is not my strong suit. And my husband is leaving town on business. I read the safety tips about generators (including the need to erect a tent over them to keep them dry) and it wasn't reassuring.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:44 AM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
Just keep it outside far away...in the backyard would be a good bet. before it rains, turn it off for awhile and bring it inside the garage. One hour off w/o electricity ain't going to kill you. If it is dark, put a outdoor umbrella over it.

Get a long extension, outdoor, high wattage rated, cord...anyhow I am going to drive by NT in about 20 minutes (I live in Telfair) I will see if I see any center point people working on the lines and or if I see people in your section with power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We are getting ready to leave Austin and I'm having second thoughts about buying the generator. I'm good at a lot of things but anything mechanical is not my strong suit. And my husband is leaving town on business. I read the safety tips about generators (including the need to erect a tent over them to keep them dry) and it wasn't reassuring.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
I have a 2000w inverter that i used during the medieval weekend. If you have a fuel efficient car or have gasoline to burn its not a bad option. I'm in Alief and you can borrow it if you want. you need jumper cables tho as I cannot part with mine It can power a large fridge, small tv/appliances at the same time, window AC maybe(not same time as fridge). I did plug into my living room outlets to run the ceiling fans/lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston