Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but New York is expensive, so even though you are getting high pay, you would still be paying more (houses are more expensive, gas, etc.). You may be payed a couple thousand less in Houston, but you can find you a 3000 square foot new home for $200,000. In New York, $200,000 would get you the equivalent of a shack (like Los Angeles, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 AM

300 posts, read 1,849,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonieB View Post
Of course that's what I meant. And if you're going to "miss" money that's being taken out of your paycheck then it doesn't matter where you live, taxes happen. Payscale at the level the original writer of this thread works at will obviously be at a good amount to offset cost of living in NYC. Again, I've already commented on the lower cost of living in the Houston area...but pay will also be lower most likely.
The salary may or may not be lower. It all depends on a person's occupation. In my profession--university professor--the salaries are fairly consistent across regions and professorial ranks. So a full professor salary of 100,000 would provide a markedly better life style in Houston than it does in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:29 AM

59 posts, read 426,633 times
He's looking for a job in the finance sector. Pay will be higher in NY. I've already said a couple of times that cost of living is cheaper in Houston...so point has been made.

The most important thing here I guess is that he feel comfortable in the city he relocates to. Number one, will he be happy with the job opportunities, second, will he be able to afford the lifestyle he's looking for, last, will he be satisfied with the housing choices.

I, personally, would be more comfortable in NY as far as job is concerned....mostly because I grew up there and I know the city and its opportunities well. However, I'm the type of person that has always kept an eye out for other opportunity even while I had what others would have considered ideal jobs. There will always be opportunity in NY....even if the stock market is down, or the job market is slow across the nation.

But, again, my family and I aren't moving back to NY...we're making the move to Houston. At this point in our lives we opt for the bigger home, slower lifestyle...family amenities, etc. I'm not arguing that NYC is the absolute answer....just that the original author spoke of moving to pursue his career more aggressively and I think NY is the "better" choice for that. As far as lifestyle....that's his call.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Houston has a growing finance sector. Many people just think Houston is all oil. Six largest port in the world, energy capitol of the world (Emirates Airlines just chose Houston as their second destination city in the U.S., after New York).

Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston has a growing finance sector. Many people just think Houston is all oil. Six largest port in the world, energy capitol of the world (Emirates Airlines just chose Houston as their second destination city in the U.S., after New York).
LOL...again, not to be combative, but Houston was chosen 2nd after NY. That tells you something. And although Houston may have a "growing" finance sector, NY has the largest and best. That's my point.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Yeah, Houston was chosen second after New York, what is wrong with that? That is above Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, etc.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonieB View Post
He's looking for a job in the finance sector. Pay will be higher in NY. I'm not arguing that NYC is the absolute answer....just that the original author spoke of moving to pursue his career more aggressively and I think NY is the "better" choice for that. As far as lifestyle....that's his call.
You may think that NY is the better choice for pursuing a career in finance, but that is your opinion, not necessarily a fact. No matter how forcefully or how often you repeat your opinion, it is still your opinion.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknowsmyname View Post
You may think that NY is the better choice for pursuing a career in finance, but that is your opinion, not necessarily a fact. No matter how forcefully or how often you repeat your opinion, it is still your opinion.
Yes, my opinion. That's what the author wanted. And others too, so if you have first hand experience in NY and Houston....by all means....give us your opinion.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
I worked in manhattan, lived NJ. I just moved to houston by request to be relocated by the same company. I got the same salary that I was getting in NYC in technology supporting our commodities trading floor.
i have a few friends on the biz side and I see the turn over of traders is fast and that entry levels do get theyre hands on the ball soon enough. I also have friends in middle and backoffices, and see that they find good opportunities too.
My vote is on NYC. rather than taking 1hr to 1.5hrs DRIVE from a nice home to work in downtown houston, i'd opt to take a train/bus and sleep during a 45min-1.5hr commute to NYC. areas 1hr train ride away from manhattan is alot more affodable especially apartments... near real bodies of water . a great thing about the Northeast is that you can flip a little old house and and expect a return. no deed restrictions, ha!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 PM

12 posts, read 33,167 times
Houston can not compare to NYC, it is just not at the same level. But you can definitely get more for your real estate dollar down here than in NYC. You will need to compare the cost of living and salary/advancement potential available in both locations to figure out if it is a good move or not.

No state income tax in Texas is pretty cool. State and local real estate taxes are pretty steep in Houston.

I would suggest visiting for a week or so to see what you think, run the numbers as you know them and then go with your gut. Worse case, you can always move back to NYC if things don't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston