Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Some general guidelines for my little part of town: If you are just renting and aren't interested in property value, I would feel comfortable in the area South of Beechnut, East of Hilcroft (and maybe as far West as Fondren), North of Airport and West of S. Post Oak. Getting out of those bounds results in cost prohibition or unnacceptable neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's a downright rough part of town. Like night & day compared to where the OP is thinking about looking. I'd highly question that whole area if one is trying to raise a family. Unfortunately 600 a month is a stretch even for a 1 bedroom apartment.
I used to think that while driving to the dump on Sunbeam, but farther north is not as bad as you might suspect. If you drive up and down S. Post Oak you would probably think Willowbend and Westbury are downright rough as well. You're probably right, tho. If schools are a concern that neighborhood is out.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

202 posts, read 807,688 times
Just curious....why are you not interested in Bellaire?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,754 times
daisy - I'm not interested in Bellaire b/c when i was living there i had three friends killed in that neighborhood and I vowed never to live there... ever. and checking the Houston Crime Map - it doesn't seem to have improved much over the years.

As for jimbo & TS- thanks SO much for your recommendations. I'll definitely look into them. I know our price range is scary, but it'll increase when i get down there and actually get to work. My fear is the fat that after we move we have to rely on just my husband's income until I find a j-o-b as a legal assistant somewhere.

Schools are very important as I have a 5yo daughter - though i understand that if we have to live cheaply for a year, we may not get good schools. 3b/2ba is best-case scenario... lol.

I'm having to adjust from going from a 3br/2ba 1800sqft house to whatever small place we find there, and from the looks of it, we're going to end up with about 1000sqft and 2/1.

SACRIFICES... lol.

I appreciate all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston