Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Have you seen this story?

Whopping electric bills come as a shock to some on CenterPoint's grid | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080930_tnt_electric_bills.ca148504.html - broken link)

HOUSTON—Ebony McMillian spent 11 days without power, but her electric bill still came as a shock.

It was $972.57.

“I looked at it and I thought, I don’t even have a house, so how am I going to have a bill this high,” McMillian said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
That's a lawsuit waiting to happen

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
No one receives electric bills from Centerpoint. People only get gas bills from them.

This situation sounds more like a data entry clerk issue.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Centerpoint is scamming the people.

First, they have said they will be estimating for the next several months, not just this month. So any over estimates will not be corrected for many months.

Second, will they be paying interest on over estimates when it is adjusted? If not, then they have a huge incentive to over estimate. Estimating 2 million customers bill about $50 too high yields hundreds of millions of dollars that are an effective zero interest short term loan. And I'm sure CP is feeling a cash flow crunch right now with the loss of revenues and repair expenses.

I suggest everyone ignore what the bill says if it's too high. Go out and read your meter yourself and make the adjustment to the bill along with a note about the actual meter reading.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM

488 posts, read 1,382,925 times
Got my Ambit bill yesterday and it wasn't any cheaper than last month despite being with out power for a week but and I quote:

'The impact of hurricane Ike has resulted in an estimated meter read for this billing period. Centerpoint has informed Ambit that future monthly meter reads could also be estimated until Ike-related restoration efforts are complete. Adjustments will be made to your bill once Ambit receives an actual meter reading from Centerpoint.'

Hopefully this will sort itself out in the long run but as we move at the end of October I hope they send someone to do a final meter reading.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,335 times
Perhaps that was her bill for last month. Center point does billing for the prervious month the first 10 to 15 days of each month. I doubt that the customer has received a bill already for September.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post

Second, will they be paying interest on over estimates when it is adjusted? If not, then they have a huge incentive to over estimate. Estimating 2 million customers bill about $50 too high yields hundreds of millions of dollars that are an effective zero interest short term loan. And I'm sure CP is feeling a cash flow crunch right now with the loss of revenues and repair expenses.

FEMA pays for storm related repairs, not Centerpoint.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
No, you are flat wrong. Centerpoint is paying for the repairs and they have already announced they will be filing a rate hike request to recover it from us.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM

257 posts, read 986,408 times
Default Bills

WAit untill the greens ,Obamacans take charge you will be working 24 hours a day at that new green job clipping grass by hand and have a sore butt from the donkey ride around town.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post

First, they have said they will be estimating for the next several months, not just this month. So any over estimates will not be corrected for many months.

I suggest everyone ignore what the bill says if it's too high. Go out and read your meter yourself and make the adjustment to the bill along with a note about the actual meter reading.
This is exactly what I will be doing. I don't give a crap about anyone's estimate, I'm not lending anything for the 16 days without power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston