Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 51,247 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know whether the British School of Houston is any good? I've read a couple of reviews on the Great Schools website which basically say its top priority is making money and that the school is quite run down. On the other hand, someone has told me that it's only the building that is run down but the teaching is still good. Would anybody recommend it (or otherwise)? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've also heard wonderful things about the School for International Studies in Spring Branch ISD. Good luck, maybe someone here has some personal experience.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM

15 posts, read 74,004 times
I had a brit friend who pulled her kids out and put them in the Village school so they'd get more attention, plsu it was closer to her home I'm sure!

We're expats and have our 7 yr old in the local elementary. He's a grade A student and is doing well. However we are staying the US and will not be moving in a short space of time like some folks do.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 PM

21 posts, read 167,303 times
Default Bsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat wife View Post
Does anybody know whether the British School of Houston is any good? I've read a couple of reviews on the Great Schools website which basically say its top priority is making money and that the school is quite run down. On the other hand, someone has told me that it's only the building that is run down but the teaching is still good. Would anybody recommend it (or otherwise)? Thanks
How old is your child? My son is in Nursery there. I can tell you more if your son is in the 3-5 year od age group.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violethawk View Post
How old is your child? My son is in Nursery there. I can tell you more if your son is in the 3-5 year od age group.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate your views. My son is almost 3 1/2 so I guess I'm looking at nursery. (I get confused with all the different names/grades or classes in different countries).

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,839 times
Our child is there at the moment (Fall 2009, there has been a recent change in Headmaster and from what we have seen I would not recommend the school to anyone.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 AM

17 posts, read 62,659 times
Hi there . I am notin Houston just now but will be moving in the next six months . From the research that I have done it appears not to be so good . Awty, the Village , and Yorkshire academy all have good reviews. Awty offers the IPC which is on level with British system.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM

My son started the school in January. He is extremely happy there and my husband and I are both very happy with the school and the progress he is making. I have friends with children at Awty and the Village school and they both have concerns with how their children are being taught. Both families think that their children are already falling behind where they should be academically. One family had their children in the British school and moved them to Awty this term but are now seriously regretting their decision. I do not regret my decision to go with the British school at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
OMG, YA is really bad. Nobody in the local neighborhood attends YA unless they are zoned to a REALLY bad public school.

YA is a lower cost private school that caters to international families in the Energy Corridor. Go there & transfer to a local public school & your kid is way behind. Send me a DM for OMG details. :-)

I feel bad for a Britt who uses this school believing it's better than local average public schools.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,316 times
Do not touch this school - British School of Houston is expensive - facilities are poor and the new head is a joke - no idea and just a con man staff and parents hate him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: