Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,568 times

Advertisements

I am a single 20 yr old black girl who is moving to Houston this weekend..I have lived in San Antonio for two years and liked it in the beginning and then began to hate it. I found that the city is not as "friendly" as ppl make it out to be. My experience was that the ppl there were very standoffish, cold, and snotty (and also flakey and shady)..I'm moving to Houston and I'm hoping that the ppl there are MUCH friendlier and down to earth. I'm hoping that ppl there are more welcoming and warm that its neightbor to the west..What do u ppl think? Houston or SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I'm thinking that doesn't sound like San Antonio.

I'm also thinking, "And it took you two years to figure this out?"

Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I'm not from Texas and have only visited Houston and San Antonio. I would give Houston the advantage in a landslide, based on my personal experiences. (In person, that is; here on City-Data, I've observed some sometimes hyper-defensive, attitude-laden jerks from Houston.) Nearly every Houstonian I've met has been polite, friendly, and sometimes even interesting. That's not to say that I haven't met nice San Antonians, but some of them tend to have a more "standoffish" vibe.

IMO, Houston and Ft. Worth are the state's two friendliest large cities. Austin and El Paso are probably tied for third place, followed by San Antonio and lastly Dallas.

I'm from Kentucky, have a strong interest in moving to Texas and have therefore been researching and talking to Texans extensively. I want a different change of...a lot of things, and Texas is in many great ways both reminiscent and non-reminiscent of home.

By the way, if makes you feel any better, I moved from my home in rural Kentucky to Louisville to attend college. For the first 3-4 weeks, I liked that city, but after wards my opinion sharply declined for the reasons you mentioned in S.A. I've since moved back to rural Ky. and it isn't that much friendlier, but at least I live in an extremely safe community (only two murders this decade) and have my parents and brother.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-06-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
we like blacks here. well I do. just the funny not-so-stuck-up ones tho

Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM

"And it took you two years to figure this out?"

Long story as to why I needed to stick in there for two years..and I had to stay in there for school btw

Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Houston is much more southern, so whatever that means to you...

Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toup4 View Post
"And it took you two years to figure this out?"

Long story as to why I needed to stick in there for two years..and I had to stay in there for school btw
Well, then you shouldn't have a problem. Houstonians are pretty friendly and down-to-earth. We do have that snobby element here, but you can spot them very easily by their shiny shirts and designer purses and avoid them.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
Im from Houston, and have lived in San Antonio for 4 years, and currently live here. I think the people are great in both cities, and yes, different. I have many more "close" friends here in San Antonio which is what I like, but will admit I had a much larger social network in Houston. I also think Houston is much more diverse and friendly for black Americans. I hope that doesn't sound wrong because it is not intended to be. I also have a friend who had the same issue as you who lived his whole life in San Antonio and at 34 moved to Houston, and is in love with the city. I guess ultimately it's all going to depend on how you go about your life in general. Good luck either way you go.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,940 times
I am from Dallas and I think people in Houston are more friendly!!!

Diversity varies in the suburbs. I think that the montrose/mid-town area offers the most diversity and is great for young people!

Where in Houston are you moving to?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 PM

I am moving 288/S. Macgregor area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston