Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontheroadagaindammit View Post
CLT, ATL are ABBREVIATIONS, NOT acronyms.

ACRONYM
–noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
LOL...you beat me to the post...reps to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontheroadagaindammit View Post
CLT, ATL are ABBREVIATIONS, NOT acronyms.

ACRONYM
–noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
Actually you're only partly right also. ATL and CLT are AIRPORT CODES, not abbreviations. Airport codes, which are technically called "airport location identifiers" are assigned by the International Air Transportation Association. ATL is the airport code for the the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. CLT is the airport code for the Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

He also used CT, which is indeed a USPS state abbreviation for Connecticut. But we'd never refer to Houston as "IAH' unless we're buying airline tickets. So why refer to Atlanta as "ATL" or Charlotte as "CLT"? That's kinda my point.

Also, that movie "ATL" didn't do Atlanta any favors in terms of image. Kinda makes me hope they NEVER make a movie about Houston.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM

32 posts, read 94,829 times
Thank you for the information. I will be changing careers and teaching will be new for me. I eventually would like to become a counselor in the school system. I have my bachelor degree and will get my certification licensure in teaching and enter a master degree in education program. My background primarily has been in the Administrative Office environment. I worked for AT&T/Lucent Technologies for 12 years, MCI, and Wachovia Bank. So all of my experience in is Corporate America. My mother, and sister are teachers, and so I want to change careers. At my age I need security and would rather do a job that maybe I could make a difference.

I would like any information on good areas with great schools to live. Since I am a single parent, I would like to live in a good area not too expensive. I will have to rent for a while until I learn the area. Would like to rent a townhouse or condo preferrably. Any direction or advice would be appreciated. If I have to go back to my administrative roots for a little while I will do that also, but in the school system preferrably.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
You can go through a number of alternative certification programs that allow you to use your first year of teaching as an internship. Some are online, but the better ones are in-person, where you can receive appropriate training. I recommend the Alternative Certification Program (ACP) through the Region IV Education Service Center.

Region 4 Home

Also, you have to be open to working in a variety of schools. You can't get terribly picky about which school until you have experience and a track record behind you. But, there's always luck and there's always high-demand teaching areas that can get your foot into the door of the preferred school you want.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
You can get a job teaching in Houston. I am a certified teacher and there is a demand for qualified teachers.
good Luck !

you can check the area districts websites for more info
cy-fair
aldine
alief
fort bend
pearland
hisd
katy
pasadena
galena park
humble
spring

Old 10-31-2008, 03:54 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Actually you're only partly right also. ATL and CLT are AIRPORT CODES, not abbreviations. Airport codes, which are technically called "airport location identifiers" are assigned by the International Air Transportation Association. ATL is the airport code for the the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. CLT is the airport code for the Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

He also used CT, which is indeed a USPS state abbreviation for Connecticut. But we'd never refer to Houston as "IAH' unless we're buying airline tickets. So why refer to Atlanta as "ATL" or Charlotte as "CLT"? That's kinda my point.

Also, that movie "ATL" didn't do Atlanta any favors in terms of image. Kinda makes me hope they NEVER make a movie about Houston.
Using airport abbreviations in place of listing out the full name of a city or region is very common in some circles. If you travel a lot for business or leisure, or have moved around a lot, you tend to associate the airport code with the city and it is an easy way to list out places (that is, if the airport code is easily discernable, which many like IAH (Houston), MCO (Orlando), and SNA (Orange County, CA) are not). The use of CT makes perfect sense as well since it doesn't have a large enough city (Hartford doesn't count) to identify by its airport code, so again, it gets the point across. In my company, they are used regularly in a "where are they this week" email to track down salespeople.

And you would be surprised how many people use HOU or IAH to mean Houston. They are both airport codes, but in the right circles they are perfectly acceptable and the farthest thing from ghetto that I can think of.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
ZeroTX, "ATL" is the IATA airport designation code for Atlanta Airport, so its use is legitimate. Same with CLT for Charlotte. However it is best to start with full names and go to acronyms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
First of all, you should probably use full terminology rather than acronyms in a foreign state where we have no idea what "CLT" is, and people who use "ATL" to refer to Atlanta sound like they're from a ghetto rap video.
Where does it say that AISD is known for being prejudiced? I wouldn't be surprised if NFISD, a bastion of corruption, was; now that NFISD is under control of the state it may have changed.

Quote:
Some districts are known for being very prejudiced against hiring whites, such as Aldine ISD or North Forest ISD. I'm not sure you want to be a part of that type of discrimination, but it does make it easier for you to find work in many cases.

Good luck,

ZTX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston