Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 39,525 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the input! Topaz... I just don't know how many more winters I can handle... The 9 months of gray are very depressing! I have to say that when its nice up here... its fantastic! Its just not nice enough around here.

Wysiwyg & Beto.. nice to hear that people like to work there. Finding a place that I like to work is another reason I'm looking out of state.

JamesLang, I actually found this position on indeed.com..... I think it was linked to Houston job postings. I've been faithfully checking for openings in texas for 4 or 5 months. I've applied for similar positions with a couple of call backs. Being out of state has been a deterent I think.

Thanks again to everyone. I'm really hoping to find something in the Houston or San Antonio area in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,600,445 times
Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Default Update!

I had a telephone interview today with NOV. Sounds like I'll be coming down for an on site interview in the next week or so! Wow! This is kinda unexpected! I really thought that I stumbled through the interview.

Okay, so for todays question. Its been about 20 yrs since my last interview. Other than the standard questions about benefits and pay what are some of the questions that I should consider asking? I'm trying to come up with a list before I head in. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,834,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getoutofseattle View Post
I had a telephone interview today with NOV. Sounds like I'll be coming down for an on site interview in the next week or so! Wow! This is kinda unexpected! I really thought that I stumbled through the interview.

Okay, so for todays question. Its been about 20 yrs since my last interview. Other than the standard questions about benefits and pay what are some of the questions that I should consider asking? I'm trying to come up with a list before I head in. Thanks for any suggestions!
The first on site interview isn't the best time to ask about pay and benefits. First convince them they want you, and THEN you will be in a better position to negotiate. If you have a job description, spend some time thinking about how your accomplishments fit with what the area of responsibilities are for the job. Ask questions like, "What are the main goals for this job for the next 6 months?" and "What will be the biggest challenges facing the person who lands this job?" Keep the conversation focused on how your skills and background would make a contribution. A nice question for the end of the interview when they ask you if you have questions is, "What is the most fun thing about working here?" (Bad sign if this question results in blank stares!)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Wow! I must really be out of job hunting. I never even considered more than one job interview. My last two jobs were " Hey when can you start" kind of interviews. Thanks Topaz for the advice and the new perspective.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,440,450 times
Just a note, I have recently been talking to some O&G companies, mostly services companies. In almost all the interviews I have asked them how they feel the company will be able to handle the current downturn in oil prices and also the economy. All three companies have responded that almost all of their current projects are priced in for oil prices to be profitable in the $20 range, since most oil projects are very long term and they've had to be considered over average oil prices in the long term. That's not to mention that many current projects that still have many years to go were contracted back when oil was very low in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,554 times
Default I do work for NOV

Yes it is a good company to work for. In large part, what division you work for dictates how happy you will be. The company as a whole is tightening it's belt to help with the problems the economy has thrown at all of us. However; the benefits remain unchanged and are still some of the best I have ever had. The pay is competative with other big oil industry companies. Management practices that I have seen are good overall thoughout the company as well. I have refered a friend before and he is still happy after coming to work here. As far as finding a job with NOV, check the corporate website, that is where they list all the open positions.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM

109 posts, read 581,677 times
I don't have any personal work experience with NOV, but I do follow local economic developments pretty closely and can tell you this:

National Oilwell Varco is making a $12M investment to build a new 60,000 s.f. facility in Rosenberg. This facility will have office and warehouse space, and a service shop to accommodate National Oilwell’s growing business. The project will retain its existing employees and is expected to create new positions that will come to Rosenberg by consolidating several facilities.

In an economic climate where so many businesses and corporations are scaling back their operations, it's reassuring to know that NOV is adding capital assets to Rosenberg, Ft. Bend County and Lamar CISD.

I do know a few people who have worked for them over the years and it seems like their jobs have been pretty stable.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,032,973 times
OP, I take it you didn't get the job? And are you still in Seattle? If so change it to CantgetoutofSeattle :P

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,511,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Corporate office is off of W Sam Houston.

There's about three of them along there.

It's like McOil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston