Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
I don't have any personal work experience with NOV, but I do follow local economic developments pretty closely and can tell you this:

National Oilwell Varco is making a $12M investment to build a new 60,000 s.f. facility in Rosenberg. This facility will have office and warehouse space, and a service shop to accommodate National Oilwell’s growing business. The project will retain its existing employees and is expected to create new positions that will come to Rosenberg by consolidating several facilities.

In an economic climate where so many businesses and corporations are scaling back their operations, it's reassuring to know that NOV is adding capital assets to Rosenberg, Ft. Bend County and Lamar CISD.

I do know a few people who have worked for them over the years and it seems like their jobs have been pretty stable.
Do you know where in Rosenberg? Near the Brazos Town Center somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 PM

109 posts, read 581,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Do you know where in Rosenberg? Near the Brazos Town Center somewhere?
It will be further down FM 2218 on Reese Rd. on about 11 acres of land.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM

129 posts, read 382,582 times
I spent a couple of years working with NOI (now NOV) in the IT space several years back. I really enjoyed my time there and met some good people. They’ve made a number of acquisitions that have been viewed positively by the market and O&G insiders alike. The price of oil and gas has made it difficult for everyone in that space lately. Most every company I work with (O&G and to be honest, everyone) is proceeding very cautiously right now. NOV will certainly persevere, but I think it’ll be a while before we see them at $80/share again.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 39,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
OP, I take it you didn't get the job? And are you still in Seattle? If so change it to CantgetoutofSeattle :P
Well... actually they made me an offer. But it was considerably less than I'm making now. The job sounded interesting and might have been a nice challange, but the money just wasn't there.

So... I think I'll just leave it as got2getoutofseattle... but thanks for the wonderful advice

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who had constructive advice for me. I really enjoyed my 16 hours in Houston.

The folks at NOV were really nice and if it wasn't for the money I would have taken the job. I'm still looking for employment in the area and hope to find something in the near future.

Last edited by got2getoutofseattle; 01-30-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: adding comments

Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Well, I was thinking NOV was discriminating against me when I was a perfect candidate for a NOV job I interviewed around Dec 20, 2008. The job needed Proengineer, Autocad 3d, Solidworks, some FEA would be a bonus, it needed a BSME, it required stress calculations, and it needed technical writing too! - Major turnoff was the $25 / hr pay rate which was below entry level salaries. I'm waiting or didn't get hired yet. They said there was a hiring freeze. And I was the only qualified matching skill set candidate they found from recruiters in Houston! - I thought I had a job!

SO NOV is having a tough time now and isn't hiring? Or worse... laying off?

Yeah, I complained this was a too cheap rate / such a bargain deal for a guy like me! But I gotta work recession rates or else look for a good job, ... NATIONWIDE!

Last edited by Jesse69; 01-30-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM

166 posts, read 899,246 times
Goes to show that NOV is the "walmart" of the oil and gas industry in more ways than one.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 20,032 times
Well I knew about the hiring freeze for awhile, and I think they are laying off some people. I wish this economy would get better soon, it really makes us folks feel the need to cut back.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Oh man, all the talk about the bad news in Oil & Gas now, and not enough NASA jobs. I now gotta skip town and move back to Chicago. I fell in love with the food, groceries, and awesome shopping in Houston!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 AM

447 posts, read 1,765,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getoutofseattle View Post
Well... actually they made me an offer. But it was considerably less than I'm making now. The job sounded interesting and might have been a nice challange, but the money just wasn't there.

So... I think I'll just leave it as got2getoutofseattle... but thanks for the wonderful advice

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who had constructive advice for me. I really enjoyed my 16 hours in Houston.

The folks at NOV were really nice and if it wasn't for the money I would have taken the job. I'm still looking for employment in the area and hope to find something in the near future.
Don't forget to factor in cost of living in Houston when looking for a job here. I know that my husband (IT developer) makes less than he would in Seattle, but our house is loads cheaper, gas is less, groceries less...etc.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 39,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
Don't forget to factor in cost of living in Houston when looking for a job here. I know that my husband (IT developer) makes less than he would in Seattle, but our house is loads cheaper, gas is less, groceries less...etc.
The offer was less than half what I'm making now. It was actually quite insulting. I have 20 plus years as an electrical tech., I have my license(which would transfer to Texas), and not to brag but I'm pretty good at what I do. I was fully expecting to take a pay cut, just not one that big. It would have been a decent offer if I was just out of the military or trade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston