Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The campus is no more dangerous than that of A & M and UT.
As spoken by someone who has clearly never even been in College Station, TX. B/CS is a nice community where you can feel comfortable walking down the street at 2am with virtually zero worry of being mugged or raped. Would you do that in the neighborhood surrounding UH?

That being said, I think that's a minimal issue since so few students live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
As spoken by someone who has clearly never even been in College Station, TX. B/CS is a nice community where you can feel comfortable walking down the street at 2am with virtually zero worry of being mugged or raped. Would you do that in the neighborhood surrounding UH?

That being said, I think that's a minimal issue since so few students live in the area.
i wouldn't feel safe walking down any street at 2 am

Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
At one time in the late 90's there was a large redevelopment plan in place for retail, housing, etc. from U of H to up and down Scott street. Architectural renderings were really great -- too bad that never materialized.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM

181 posts, read 642,709 times
I'm not saying it's the worst neighborhood around UH, it just happens to suck if you're living at UH. And you pass through it to get to the good stuff. There's just nothing to do around there, at least within walking distance.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
To OP, you'll be fine at UH. I graduated from both UT-Austin and UH. They're both good schools. Just make sure you study hard. I do think you shouldn't stay out late at UH though. I haven't been there in years, but if you study late in the library, try to find a parking spot near well lit areas. Your education is as good as you make it to be.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM

134 posts, read 326,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
i wouldn't feel safe walking down any street at 2 am
I felt perfectly safe walking around the bay area at 2am (granted it wasn't Oakland).

You need to get around more.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 AM

299 posts, read 1,016,438 times
Default It depends on what your options are....

UH is a decent middle of the pack school, but what would you be turning down to attend UH? If it is Texas State or Sam Houston then you are probably making a good decision. But there are a number of higher rated schools in and out of Texas that I would chose over UH.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
3rd Ward is actually pretty safe compared to other areas of Houston.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,299 times
As a current UH student i can say that there are many schools that are much better than UH, however within Houston UH is a well-respected school.

UH tends to accept almost everyone; that being said I have spoken to many UT and A&M students and they have said that UH courses tend to more difficult(especially the engineering school) So the bottem line is UH is easy to get into but hard to stay in.
And as reputation goes; i believe that everyone within Houston and most of Texas for that matter, really appreciate and value a UH degree... however if you would like to move out of the Houston/Texas than a UT,A&M,Rice degree might be held to a higher regard.

I would recommend just living in an apartment in the medical center and buying a cheap car to get u to and from campus(which is only 5 min. away).

Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,815 times
What about living on campus? Wont that lead to a good college experience. Isnt there a good college spirit within the campus habitants? Please answer my questions because I am on the verge of choosing some othe university!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston