Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM

54 posts, read 228,871 times

Advertisements

Questions about the Texas Renaissance Festival??

Is it age appropriate for a 10 and 14 year old?
Does it really start early in the morning?
Which is better Saturday or Sunday?
What can we expect to spend after going through the gates?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help. We are new and looking for something to do one weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:03 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Yes
10:30 is a good time to get there
Either is fine
Most food items are $4-6 and $2 for a drink, if your drinking alcohol the sky is the limit of course
Arsene is my favorite performer there. Don't be late! The Kids would probably enjoy Dead Bob as well.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
In my opinion this is not an appropriate place to take a family, especially younger kids. Some will of course disagree but I know I will never take my family there. They are trying to replicate a time in history that had a lack of socially acceptable behavior and they do a good job at it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 PM

38 posts, read 185,057 times
I had been there twice and mi kids enjoyed, now I might go with my grandchildren!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I brought my kids around that age, and they enjoyed it. Sure the "players" can get a little risque, but they tone it down when kids are around. But, plan to drop some $ once inside..entrance fee is just that...everything else is extra.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM

56 posts, read 185,692 times
Families with kids can have a lot of fun there. Later in the day when the alcohol is really kicking in it might get a little different. Lots of the shows and performers will interact with the kids. They also can joke so the adults can understand it and the kids wont even know. I remember going when I was a young kid/ teenager and seeing the women with risque clothing. hubba hubba..LOL

Good idea to go on a Saturday. Lots of walking. Take Sunday to rest. The Texas Renaissance Festival is definately one thing I miss this time of year since moving away from home.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:45 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlongfamily View Post
Questions about the Texas Renaissance Festival??

Is it age appropriate for a 10 and 14 year old?
Does it really start early in the morning?
Which is better Saturday or Sunday?
What can we expect to spend after going through the gates?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help. We are new and looking for something to do one weekend.
In my opinion, the humor is a bit "bawdy" and I probably wouldn't expose my 10 year old to it. There are occasionally skantily clad women around, and often it's women who should cover it up (it ain't nice to see), but it's no more than you'd see at the beach... it's just more style, hehe. That has been less of a factor the past 2 or 3 years, though. It seems the Ren Fest has gone family.... to a point. Much to my dismay. I liked it with more of an edge to it... much as I imagine the era to have been. It wasn't an amusement park for kids.

I always go on Saturdays, because to get the full impact of Ren Fest you need to get there early (10am at the latest) and stay until the fireworks show at sundown. Believe me, you won't be able to see everything in 8 or 9 hours. The comedy shows are HILARIOUS, but do contain some adult jokes.... I recommend The Other Brothers & Ded Bob Show, especially, but ANY of the shows in the big theaters are generally great.

Prices for food are amusement-park like, but NOT as high as a Texans game. If you go with a family of 4, I'd budget $100 for food and drinks for the day, because eating a meat on a stick and having a beer are just part of the experience!

Enjoy, but don't be angry when they make dirty jokes. It's part of the event.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
If this tells you anything--I worked the Ren Fest with my friends in high school through our theater department. We were wenches. At 16.

It was a lot of fun though!!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM

18 posts, read 80,073 times
Take the family and enjoy some time together. Everything else is secondary to that. I assure you that there is nothing there the kids haven't already been exposed to on the evening news. Go early, it ends at sundown.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
Another reiteration of go early... it ends at sundown after the conclusion of the fireworks show in the joust arena. I highly suggest staying from open to close and go to the fireworks show at the end. I might suggest a small pocket flashlight or LED keychain light to assist with the walk back to the car, as the park is not lit. It's not pitch dark, though, and I've never had a problem walking back to my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: