Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 31,602 times

Advertisements

I am a Chemical Engineer with abouth 2 years experience. I worked in the Biotech industry, but I wish to move to Houston and work in the Oil and Gas sector as a Process Engineer.

I already tried applying for KBR, Jacobs.

Can someone please help me with a list of good companies in the Houston area?

It has been a few months that I have been searching through recruiting agencies but with no luck.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,568 times
Try Exxon Mobil?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
BP, Shell, Exxon Mobile, LyondellBasell (which is where my husband works as an engineer) and there are many smaller companies as well. I will have to ask him.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the help. I still need it though.

I already applied to the big companies like BP, Shell and Exxon, but unfortunately it is a bit harder to get in. I am a Canadian citizen, and to apply for an Entry Level position I have to apply through an American University.

It would be much appreciated if I get more companies.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM

41 posts, read 181,978 times
jacobs just laid off around 25 process engineers a few weeks ago.. so it tells you that the market is down for oil and gas right now..anyway, here are the companies i could think ofbechtel, worleyparsons, mustang, urs, shaw, b and v, fosterwheeler, cbi, technip, mcdermott, snc lavalin, ventech,

Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Did you try Dow?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,678 times
Another company to consider is Sunoco Logistics. They have offices in Sugar Land. They have a website where you can look up their current job openings.
Good luck!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times
The fused remnants of Phillips66, Chevron, and Conoco have a big central office in The Woodlands (probably the premier suburb of Houston to live in... what a dream to live AND work there and bike to work!) called ChevronPhillips. As a working engineer of course, you might be working in one of the refineries or petrochemical plants on the east side of Houston or Channelview. Definitely preferrable lifestyle to BrazosPort or Texas City, IMO, unless your into deepsea fishing. At least you avoid the brunt of the hurricanes.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times
Just thought of something else. I've got a friend who is a chemical or mechanical engineer who got out of the energy biz and worked for a high-tech electronics incubator for several years until the company (and many of the others!) collapsed in the early 00's. He got back into the energy industry with my company as a big-picture planning guy for all the large-dollar projects and potential projects for a foreign country that we've got interests. Your background outside the energy industry and foreign nationality might work in your favor, not against you, in applying for such a job.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Just thought of something else. I've got a friend who is a chemical or mechanical engineer who got out of the energy biz and worked for a high-tech electronics incubator for several years until the company (and many of the others!) collapsed in the early 00's. He got back into the energy industry with my company as a big-picture planning guy for all the large-dollar projects and potential projects for a foreign country that we've got interests. Your background outside the energy industry and foreign nationality might work in your favor, not against you, in applying for such a job.
I did leave my Resume to Chevron Phillips, but surprisingly the only positions they have are 2, and none for Process/Chemical Engineer.

What is the company that your working for? Would you know whom to address my application?

Thank you all for all the help. It is really much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston