Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,311 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the advice you offered me before our trip to TX. We visited Houston last month and my husband has accepted the job at the medical center. We are thinking to move down there after this school year and we will rent first. When should I start looking for a place? We would like to stay in the West U / Bellaire area as it's close to medical center. Do you have any suggestions on good rental properties (apt. or house) suitable for families?
Are there any lease to buy property in the area? Would that suit us better?
Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Mia36,

Try Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and search for a 'Single Family' home lease for a house. For an apartment, you might have to search early to get in at the exceptional ones, but if it is just a regular apartment, there are so many in Houston, you won't have a problem with that.

The West U. area is expensive, you might try across the freeway in the Montrose area for a home to lease, they are much more affordable and I see many in the area, and it's not too much further. Also, the Montrose/Uptown area has much more entertainment venues if you like going to clubs/restaurants/museums.

It's been over 20 years since I've lived in an apartment, so I've no real information for you. However, I do have a sister-in-law who rents properties, you can PM me if you'd like to get in touch with her.

Regards

Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
What is your price range?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM

I don't have much idea about the rental market there. Does $2000 sound reasonable?
Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
That's real reasonable. Might be too early to start but I would direct your attention to the Meyerland area (where it is zoned to Bellaire HS). Not quite as pricey as Bellaire and West U proper but very nice neighborhoods.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
I realize you are renting, but one thing you might consider are schools and how good they are. Unfortunately, Houston ISD is not the best, but there are good schools here and there, so I would suggest you put that into your equation, maybe before location. If you are going the private school route, then almost any place should do.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
To answer your original question, about 30 to 45 days before you want to move in is roughly the time frame to look. Although you may want to visit some areas before hand to get an idea of what you want & educate yourself on neighborhoods.

If you are looking at apartment complexes, just be aware they will usually only hold a specific unit 30 days tops. If you look much beforehand they can put you on a list, but they could be full on that particular floor plan, or not have the floor level you want (1st floor, top floor, whatever) when your time comes around.

privately owned places listed on HAR or craigslist, etc., often times do not like holding it even that long.

If you look months in advance in all probability anything you look at will be long gone by your move time, plus pricing and specials may be radically different by then. If the economy slides there may be options you didn't include in your initial search that suddenly become more affordable.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the advice.

As for the good schools brought up by Hookthe brotherup, which elementary schools are considered good in Bellaire and West U area? I assume there is only one middle school there, Pershing.
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 61,064 times
Meyerland has a great elem. school - kolter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston