Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 61,208 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this question for about 6 months now. I was born in Houston, moved to Dallas before my 2nd birthday, and then moved back to Houston this past summer at the age of 31. Here is my take on it:

The People:
People from Houston think of people from Dallas as pretentious, snotty, materialistic, etc. I don't necessarily believe this is true, but I can sort of see why they would think that. My boss (grew up in Houston, lived in Dallas a bit, now back in Houston) describes Dallas as "metropolitan" and Houston as "redneck". This initially shocked me, as Houston does seem more international as others have said, but once I thought about it, I could sort of see it. I don't think Houston is "redneck", but it does have more of a "good ole' boy" kind of feel. I don't know if that's because of the oil and gas industry's strong presence and that tends to be a "good ole' boy" kind of industry or what. People in Houston also seem to spend more time outdoors, which I think is a good thing. All this being said, the people of Houston overall do seem a bit friendlier and less materialistic than those in Dallas, but here's a little secret you won't hear on either board: Dallas and Houston are two of the biggest cities in the country, and you can't generalize either's population. They both have friendly people, materialistic people, cultured people, pretentious people, snotty people, intelligent people, dumb people, criminals, etc. I don't think I would choose one city over the other based on the people.

The Weather/Air:
Dallas is actually hotter in the summer, but Houston will feel hotter because of the humidity. Dallas is colder in the winter, but you can't really call Dallas a "cold" city if you compare it to the rest of the country. Dallas MAY get snow or ice a couple times a year, but then the temperature goes right back up, it melts, and life is normal. I really wouldn't not choose Dallas because you don't like cold weather. I will say that Houston is a worse city when it comes to asthma. My son has had his asthma re-appear since our move and our pediatrician says its because the air quality in Houston is poorer. Dallas has pollution and allergens as well, but they don't seem to be as bad.

The City Itself:
Houstonians are very proud of their trees, and the trees are indeed beautiful. As a Dallas girl from a "no-tree" suburb, I will tell you that with the trees and bayous does come more snakes, roaches, spiders, etc. than there appear to be in Dallas. My parents warned me of the roaches when I moved, but they are absoultely rampant down here.

Now I will come to the big issue that for me personally tips the scales to Dallas: Houston seems to be a rather unplanned city and has no zoning. Dallas is a city that is rather segregated economically. Since crime and poverty tend to be very strongly correlated, I view this as a big plus. I also think it leads to more availability of retail in Dallas (Companies open stores where there is money and when there is a higher concentraion of people with disposable income in an area, you are more likely to get certain stores) - maybe why Dallas gets that "materialistic" repuatation. In Houston, you can go from a multi-million dollar home to a trailer within a block. In Dallas, I had no idea where an adult video store was and I rarely saw someone panhandling. In Houston, there are at least 3 adult video stores within 5 miles of my suburban home and I see at least 3-5 panhandlers a day. (I worked downtown in both cities). In Dallas, roads and businesses appear to be better maintained. In the suburbs of Dallas, you notice the homes and not the businesses, in Houston it is the opposite - and the homes tend to look better than the businesses. A lot of businesses just look like old warehouses and are not maintained very well. Just drive north on 45 from downtown Houston to the Woodlands and then north on 75 from downtown Dallas to McKinney and it will give you a pretty good idea on the differences between how the cities are laid out. Dallas just seemed to care more about how things looked when they built - maybe why it is viewed as pretentious and materialistic. If you could take Houston's natural landscape and put Dallas' infrastructure with it, you would probably have one of the prettiest cities in the country.

All of this being said, they are both terrific cities and I would defend either of them from outside criticism. Which one you choose would probably depend a lot on what is important to you. I could live very happily in either of these cities and I'm sure you could too. Houston is great. I just prefer Dallas (probably in large part because I grew up there and have a bias).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Both cities have great architecture if you like that.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
coog 78,

THATS HILARIOUS!

The skyline of Dallas did not impress me at all, but then I realized that it has a ton of big suburbs. I can definately tell from pics that Houston has a way bigger skyline than Dallas.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
If you live inside the loop in Houston or inside LBJ or Loop 12/Northwest Highway in Dallas you will be fine. We actually have a canopy of trees inside Dallas - I live near White Rock Lake. Dallas gets the pretentious repuatation from the Park Cities (segregated) and the areas on either side of Preston Road which runs north to Oklahoma. My area is very laid back as is the rest of East Dallas and North Oak Cliff. We have everything from the super wealthy to the poor - think small towns in the big city.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy H View Post
Now I will come to the big issue that for me personally tips the scales to Dallas: Houston seems to be a rather unplanned city and has no zoning. Dallas is a city that is rather segregated economically. Since crime and poverty tend to be very strongly correlated, I view this as a big plus. I also think it leads to more availability of retail in Dallas (Companies open stores where there is money and when there is a higher concentraion of people with disposable income in an area, you are more likely to get certain stores) - maybe why Dallas gets that "materialistic" repuatation. In Houston, you can go from a multi-million dollar home to a trailer within a block. In Dallas, I had no idea where an adult video store was and I rarely saw someone panhandling. In Houston, there are at least 3 adult video stores within 5 miles of my suburban home and I see at least 3-5 panhandlers a day. (I worked downtown in both cities). In Dallas, roads and businesses appear to be better maintained. In the suburbs of Dallas, you notice the homes and not the businesses, in Houston it is the opposite - and the homes tend to look better than the businesses. A lot of businesses just look like old warehouses and are not maintained very well. Just drive north on 45 from downtown Houston to the Woodlands and then north on 75 from downtown Dallas to McKinney and it will give you a pretty good idea on the differences between how the cities are laid out. Dallas just seemed to care more about how things looked when they built - maybe why it is viewed as pretentious and materialistic. If you could take Houston's natural landscape and put Dallas' infrastructure with it, you would probably have one of the prettiest cities in the country.
All of this being said, they are both terrific cities and I would defend either of them from outside criticism. Which one you choose would probably depend a lot on what is important to you. I could live very happily in either of these cities and I'm sure you could too. Houston is great. I just prefer Dallas (probably in large part because I grew up there and have a bias).
BINGO!
This is the most accurate description I've read on these forums regarding this topic.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
I have been thinking about this question for about 6 months now. I was born in Houston, moved to Dallas before my 2nd birthday, and then moved back to Houston this past summer at the age of 31. Here is my take on it:

The People:
People from Houston think of people from Dallas as pretentious, snotty, materialistic, etc. I don't necessarily believe this is true, but I can sort of see why they would think that. My boss (grew up in Houston, lived in Dallas a bit, now back in Houston) describes Dallas as "metropolitan" and Houston as "redneck". This initially shocked me, as Houston does seem more international as others have said, but once I thought about it, I could sort of see it. I don't think Houston is "redneck", but it does have more of a "good ole' boy" kind of feel. I don't know if that's because of the oil and gas industry's strong presence and that tends to be a "good ole' boy" kind of industry or what. People in Houston also seem to spend more time outdoors, which I think is a good thing. All this being said, the people of Houston overall do seem a bit friendlier and less materialistic than those in Dallas, but here's a little secret you won't hear on either board: Dallas and Houston are two of the biggest cities in the country, and you can't generalize either's population. They both have friendly people, materialistic people, cultured people, pretentious people, snotty people, intelligent people, dumb people, criminals, etc. I don't think I would choose one city over the other based on the people.

The Weather/Air:
Dallas is actually hotter in the summer, but Houston will feel hotter because of the humidity. Dallas is colder in the winter, but you can't really call Dallas a "cold" city if you compare it to the rest of the country. Dallas MAY get snow or ice a couple times a year, but then the temperature goes right back up, it melts, and life is normal. I really wouldn't not choose Dallas because you don't like cold weather. I will say that Houston is a worse city when it comes to asthma. My son has had his asthma re-appear since our move and our pediatrician says its because the air quality in Houston is poorer. Dallas has pollution and allergens as well, but they don't seem to be as bad.

The City Itself:
Houstonians are very proud of their trees, and the trees are indeed beautiful. As a Dallas girl from a "no-tree" suburb, I will tell you that with the trees and bayous does come more snakes, roaches, spiders, etc. than there appear to be in Dallas. My parents warned me of the roaches when I moved, but they are absoultely rampant down here.

Overall, pretty fair description. However, I've seen a lot of panhandlers in Dallas, too, particularly downtown. Maybe that's changed. Also, I think Harry Hines north may be a big area of Dallas for sleazy businesses (adult videos, hourly rate motels, etc.). Regarding the mansions/trailers comment, I've honestly not seen them within one block in Houston, but I'll take your word for it. I've seen them pretty close in Austin, which has zoning. Overall, I think the neighborhoods are a lot prettier in Houston, but yes, the commercial areas are better looking in Dallas.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Overall, I think the neighborhoods are a lot prettier in Houston, but yes, the commercial areas are better looking in Dallas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy H
If you could take Houston's natural landscape and put Dallas' infrastructure with it, you would probably have one of the prettiest cities in the country.

You both are right, I do get that same feeling that the commercial areas are nice in NorthDallas, mainly off 75 and the Tollway District. . As for Houston, i get the feeling same feeling I do in Dallas off the Katy Freeway. Everything seems newer and planned. Katy Freeway is beautiful and progressive and resembles much of the infrastructure you'd expect to see in those areas of Dallas.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
If you could take Houston's natural landscape and put Dallas' infrastructure with it, you would probably have one of the prettiest cities in the country.
Such a city does exist. Its called Hotlanta.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Now I will come to the big issue that for me personally tips the scales to Dallas: Houston seems to be a rather unplanned city and has no zoning. Dallas is a city that is rather segregated economically. Since crime and poverty tend to be very strongly correlated, I view this as a big plus. I also think it leads to more availability of retail in Dallas (Companies open stores where there is money and when there is a higher concentraion of people with disposable income in an area, you are more likely to get certain stores) - maybe why Dallas gets that "materialistic" repuatation. In Houston, you can go from a multi-million dollar home to a trailer within a block. In Dallas, I had no idea where an adult video store was and I rarely saw someone panhandling. In Houston, there are at least 3 adult video stores within 5 miles of my suburban home and I see at least 3-5 panhandlers a day. (I worked downtown in both cities). In Dallas, roads and businesses appear to be better maintained. In the suburbs of Dallas, you notice the homes and not the businesses, in Houston it is the opposite - and the homes tend to look better than the businesses. A lot of businesses just look like old warehouses and are not maintained very well. Just drive north on 45 from downtown Houston to the Woodlands and then north on 75 from downtown Dallas to McKinney and it will give you a pretty good idea on the differences between how the cities are laid out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Overall, pretty fair description. However, I've seen a lot of panhandlers in Dallas, too, particularly downtown. Maybe that's changed. Also, I think Harry Hines north may be a big area of Dallas for sleazy businesses (adult videos, hourly rate motels, etc.). Regarding the mansions/trailers comment, I've honestly not seen them within one block in Houston, but I'll take your word for it. I've seen them pretty close in Austin, which has zoning. Overall, I think the neighborhoods are a lot prettier in Houston, but yes, the commercial areas are better looking in Dallas.
Though I am an advocate for Houston getting zoning and having more regulation as to the way things look -- I have to agree with Weatherguy that the other Texas cities that do have zoning still have their fair share of trashed-out looking areas that are close to the nice areas. To act like it is so different, well, isn't really accurate unless you've been living in a bubble restricted to the uber-nice areas of those cities. I saw more panhandlers living in Austin than in Houston, and plenty of strip-malls, XXX signs and other ugliness. I can remember seeing tons of billboards around Dallas too. And in all fairness, I-45 north of town in Houston is just hideous and probably the worst you will see in all of the city (other freeways are bad but not that bad). But yes, I wish Houston would clean up... and I think the current mayor is realizing this and has pushed for it. Kudos to him.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Though I am an advocate for Houston getting zoning and having more regulation as to the way things look -- I have to agree with Weatherguy that the other Texas cities that do have zoning still have their fair share of trashed-out looking areas that are close to the nice areas. To act like it is so different, well, isn't really accurate unless you've been living in a bubble restricted to the uber-nice areas of those cities. I saw more panhandlers living in Austin than in Houston, and plenty of strip-malls, XXX signs and other ugliness. I can remember seeing tons of billboards around Dallas too. And in all fairness, I-45 north of town in Houston is just hideous and probably the worst you will see in all of the city (other freeways are bad but not that bad). But yes, I wish Houston would clean up... and I think the current mayor is realizing this and has pushed for it. Kudos to him.
If Houston had zoning laws it wouldn't be Houston anymore. It makes the city have a unique character no other in the US has. The many (not just 2 or 3) scattered skylines of Houston are something common in a lot of the larger Asian cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston