Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, the attached is an interesting site to peruse w/ regard to freeway construction. Click under the city or area you want to look at then click History to find old photos, can also look at old (and some fairly current) planning maps. One of my favorite photos is one where they are clearing the ROW for highway 59 at Hazard (1958). Also fun to look at the old plans and see how they developed over the years.

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/...ric_maps.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That railroad underpass is so dangerous. It seems that it's from the 1920's. I saw a picture of a railroad overpass on Allen Pkwy and I thought I was in Houston again at that crossing in Shepherd.
I know what you mean. The RR overpass (narrow) and the curve at the same place are a bad choke point and dangerous IMO. They are about to be going around it if you have been watching the land that is being cleared just east of it.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
With today's news of the Trans-Texas Corridor being scrapped, isn't it time for Greater Houston constituents and legislators to push for an upgrade of U.S. 59 to an interstate? I-39 would connect to Rockford, near Chicago, with most of the route making up the north-south transcontinental route and strengthen Houston ties with the largest city/metro in the middle of the country.
You must have missed the entire I-69 plans. I believe it is still in place, but won't be apart of the Trans-Texas Corridor. This freeway will connect to Canada. According to the Interstate System, the number does seem off.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I am very happy about this. The current I-69 passes right by and through some of the prettiest parts of Texas, not to mention right by my weekend spot.

Glad to see it scrapped for good.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I just drove by there last weekend. There are a few stretches that will be easy to convert but there are thousands of homes and businesses with direct driveway access to 59. Not only will that have to go but you'll have to build new access roads for them. And then there's all the bridges, interchanges, and bypasses needed around all the little towns.
What also has to be taken into consideration is grade separating in those sections in order for these interchanges to get built.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You must have missed the entire I-69 plans. I believe it is still in place, but won't be apart of the Trans-Texas Corridor. This freeway will connect to Canada. According to the Interstate System, the number does seem off.
It is off, but the consensus wanted one consistent number for the highway rather than using, say, 47 from Memphis to South Texas.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It doesn't seem to be the right number though. Chris-ut mentioned I-47, but was this supposed to run east or west of 45? I thought it was supposed to stay west; if so I-39 sounds about right. I-47 would work if it ran close to the Sabine River.
Maybe I-39 would be more appropriate for Texas but I assure you the plans are for it to be I-69. It will actually cross I-45, running west of it south of Houston and east of it north of Houston.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You mean a totally different route? I'm sure the people who stood to have their property taken by the state through eminent domain, who opposed the TTC for that reason, would be equally thrilled with this idea.
I didn't say anything about who would be thrilled or chilled, just that it would be cheaper to build a brand new route. And that's one more reason - it's cheaper to acquire undeveloped property than developed property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston