Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM

20 posts, read 136,927 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
I was hoping to get feedback on decent rooming and/or boarding houses in the Houston area. I will be relocating to Houston next month and was wondering if anyone could share their recommendations and/or experiences with Houston rooming/boarding houses? Any to avoid? I am hoping that there are some good ones in the area...??

I also saw that a local monastery was renting small/large rooms. Has anyone ever temporarily lived in such circumstances and if so, could you share your experience and advice?

Thanks,
Mcp
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Smile What about other low-cost furnished rooms?

Hi Again,

I didn't receive any replies for boarding/rooming houses, so I have another question:
Has anyone had an experience with staying at the YMCA/YWCA or International Hostel in Houston? If not, do you know of anyone that has and could share the pro's/con's with me?

I am a considerate, responsible woman in my early 40's (non-smoker, no current pets) looking to secure a very low-cost temporary furnished room while I search for employment. After obtaining a job I will then re-evaluate the commuting time and proceed accordingly.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope someone has suggestions. I have already looked at Craigslist.

Thanks so much,
Mcp99

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
How much money can you spend?

Is the monastery you're talking about just east of downtown? I had a friend who stayed there some years ago while he was between houses and jobs. I don't recall what his experience there was, though.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
How much money can you spend?

Is the monastery you're talking about just east of downtown? I had a friend who stayed there some years ago while he was between houses and jobs. I don't recall what his experience there was, though.
Hi,
The monastery guest room I saw advertised is on 3013 Roe drive-per the contact phone information; I am unsure if that is simply the administrative building or where the actual room is located. In addition, it states that the location is on "36/40 bus line, inside Loop".

I wanted to spend between $300-$325 per month. I need a furnished room that offers some semblance of peace and privacy. I truly hope that there is such a place out there!!

Thanks!
Mcp99

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Mcp, have you looked at Craigslist? I'm looking under Rooms/shared. Don't know if you want to go this way but does present an option. Just have to be cautious about who/where you get involved.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Mcp, have you looked at Craigslist? I'm looking under Rooms/shared. Don't know if you want to go this way but does present an option. Just have to be cautious about who/where you get involved.

Good luck
Hi There,
Yes, I have looked on Craigslist. Like you said, I am cautious about having roommates...that is why I was checking into other low-cost options. It doesn't look like there are many alternatives.

Thanks for your feedback,
Mcp99

Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
I just saw that you asked about the hostel. Is that in the Museum District? I accidentally met a tourist on his way to Alaska from Australia walking down the street there once. I had no idea it was there. It's totally hidden from view by foliage! Anyway, I would recommend that option as much better as a single woman than the monastery. I looked at it on Google Street View and it looks sketchy, the price, the building, the area... But I don't know, it might be okay, I guess. I think that is the same one my friend stayed in. I know it was east of downtown. But he's a he and he's from here. I don't know that I'd recommend a single woman new to the city stay there. I really think you might be better off upping your budget a little and looking for a roommate if the hostel doesn't pan out, or better yet getting a 1BR by yourself somewhere centrally located. Many places offer a six-month lease.

Last edited by houstoner; 01-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I just saw that you asked about the hostel. Is that in the Museum District? I accidentally met a tourist on his way to Alaska from Australia walking down the street there once. I had no idea it was there. It was totally hidden from view by foliage! Anyway, I would recommend that option as much better as a single woman than the monastery. I looked at it on Google Street View and it looks sketchy, the price, the building, the area... But I don't know, it might be okay, I guess. I just wouldn't recommend it to a single woman new to the city. I think that is the same one my friend stayed in. I know it was east of downtown. But he's a he. I don't know that I'd recommend a single woman stay there. I really think you might be better off upping your budget a little and looking for a roommate if the hostel doesn't pan out, or better yet getting a 1BR by yourself somewhere centrally located. Many places offer a six-month lease.
Hi,
Yes, the hostel is in the museum district. I also saw the photo of the Monastery on Google and I agree that it looked kinda sketchy. I will check into more details regarding the hostel and explore getting a 1br or studio that offers a shorter lease.

A BIG thanks to you for your thoughtful reply,

Cheers,
Mcp99

Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 18,763 times
The downtown Y no longer rents rooms for visitors. That part of the old Y is now demolished.

The new Hostelling International Houston at 501 Lovett Blvd, 77006 is in Montrose for short term visitors. [EMAIL="houston@hiusa.org"]houston@hiusa.org[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston