Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 61,064 times

Advertisements

My husband, 7 month old, & I just moved to the heights last week. We have had SO many people tell us there has been a lot more crime lately in that area ... anyone heard this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Not surprising...

I've not heard of this myself, however, given the economy and many more people unemployed, I'd say there will be more crime in most neighborhoods, reminiscent of the '80s.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Opportunity crime is on the rise everywhere.
Vehicle breakins when things are left visable, open garages, bikes left in the front yard, etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lace7725 View Post
My husband, 7 month old, & I just moved to the heights last week. We have had SO many people tell us there has been a lot more crime lately in that area ... anyone heard this?

Thanks

The Heights is a pretty neat area of town. But regardless of that opinion, the reality is last week you moved w/ your family to the glorified barrio. Add that to what Brother said above... Construction in particular has come to a standstill in lots of places around SE TX. The rest you can deduce.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
There have always been a high rate of vehicle break ins in the Heights. Just dont leave anything in your car and I leave my car unlocked so they wont break the windows. I know they say to lock them but, in the one case I have with this, I was living in Freindswood and every car had their windows broken but mine. I had left the car unlocked and they just sifted thru the console and threw stuff around.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
There have always been a high rate of vehicle break ins in the Heights. Just dont leave anything in your car and I leave my car unlocked so they wont break the windows. I know they say to lock them but, in the one case I have with this, I was living in Freindswood and every car had their windows broken but mine. I had left the car unlocked and they just sifted thru the console and threw stuff around.
huh?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM

134 posts, read 326,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The Heights is a pretty neat area of town. But regardless of that opinion, the reality is last week you moved w/ your family to the glorified barrio. Add that to what Brother said above... Construction in particular has come to a standstill in lots of places around SE TX. The rest you can deduce.
Well, I kinda like the Heights. It certainly is not perfect but it is better than most places in Houston.

As far as crime, my perception is that the burbs have a lot more murders than most places inside 610. Although, frankly, Houston is basically one giant burb anyway when compared to other cities but places like the Heights are much nicer and more unique than the typical tract home junk you normally get here.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM

12 posts, read 61,064 times
I have to say after living here for a few weeks now ... I LOVE living here! We love our neighbors and being so close to everything. We used to live in Pearland ...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I love the heights. Have a friend who lives there now and my husband lived there while we were dating. This was 9 years ago, but we still go back to visit several times a year. Just make sure nothing is visible in your car and keep the doors locked.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
Crime is on the rise everywhere. My brother is in law enforsement and they had a meeting earlier this week to discuss recent surge in crime. Basically he told me that it's going to get worse. Oh joy.

It's time to be carefull no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: