Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM

94 posts, read 278,133 times

Advertisements

I have been researching as much as I can but I always feel users here have the best opinions so I like to ask here before I start making my mind up on things.

My wife and I have discussed moving to TX for over a year now. Plans are starting to unfold as I get closer to my AA so I can apply to local Police Depts. That being said, we are considering moving to an area where there is still land available, and purchasing 1+ acres. I am big on sustainability and I would love to grow a small garden, have lots of room for a dog, and lots of space for landscaping.

That being said we can't move too far away from a major city, as per my wife. She wants to be able to drive to Houston whenever she wants for concerts, events or just to feel the "city" life.

So we are looking for recommendations on citys or towns to move to that are populated, but offer relatively inexpensive land and that are within a decent driving range of Houston. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and happy new year (late I know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Tyler TX area would be a good choice. About 90 minutes to Dallas. Very easy to grow things in that part of the state.

The problem with Houston is 90 minutes out you're still in the commuter burbs. :/

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Columbus.
Western parts of Fulshear.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
I have been researching as much as I can but I always feel users here have the best opinions so I like to ask here before I start making my mind up on things.

My wife and I have discussed moving to TX for over a year now. Plans are starting to unfold as I get closer to my AA so I can apply to local Police Depts. That being said, we are considering moving to an area where there is still land available, and purchasing 1+ acres. I am big on sustainability and I would love to grow a small garden, have lots of room for a dog, and lots of space for landscaping.

That being said we can't move too far away from a major city, as per my wife. She wants to be able to drive to Houston whenever she wants for concerts, events or just to feel the "city" life.

So we are looking for recommendations on citys or towns to move to that are populated, but offer relatively inexpensive land and that are within a decent driving range of Houston. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Depedning on traffic, one to two hours outside Houston could be somewhere on Beltway 8 or as far away as Louisiana.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
There is a lot of land in Chambers County or western Jefferson county that is likely reasonably priced. You're coming up on near-marsh land though, and eastern Jefferson county is uber-marshland. And it's also not that bad of a drive compared to the other spots around town. I-10 out that way is free-flowing just about all of the day, which can't be said for any other freeway except maybe 225.

Much of the state is going to be a challenge to grow food due to bugs, worms, squirrels, deer, etc. The stem & leaf will grow fine but when the edible parts start growing, they can be gone in very short order. Also the soil in SE TX is this 'gumbo' clay crap that will take some work to make appropriate for farming, unless all you want is a giant basil or mint garden. It can be done, but it will take some extra care. I gave up on gardening in the ground around here because I don't have the time to prepare everything, but have had great success growing in 5-10 gallon buckets that sit on the patio. Generic soil from Lowes + white coarse perlite + Nelson Plant food and I'm done.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post

It depends on what kind of environment you are looking for. You can live South of Houston, close to or on the Gulf Coast for sailing and great fishing. You can live North or Northeast of Houston and can be in East Texas pine forest if you like to hunt or other outdoor activities.

I currently live in the Hill Country, going to college, and would recommend this part of Texas where you can either be close to San Antonio or Austin. I personally wouldn't want to buy land several hours outside of Houston unless it was buy the coast or a lake.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Columbus.
Western parts of Fulshear.
It's lovely out there!

Not too far from Houston but totally different.

I would also say that it's probably far enough inland that if another hurricane hit it wouldn't be such an issue.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,520 times
My experience is west of Houston, so I am one that would vote for Columbus or nearby areas. And you'd be in a good position to drive to Houston (little more than an hour - assuming not during rush hour traffic), San Antonio or Austin (a couple of hours each).

Fulshear is still country now, but it won't be long before much of that gets turned into residential development - Cross Creek Ranch is already under development and other areas around it are slated for master planned communities as well. So, if you want to avoid the encroaching suburbia as long as possible, I'd move further out than that.

I drove through the Bellville and Brenham areas and thought they were nice also. Columbus and Bellville are small - 4k to 5k residents, so getting a job on a police force might be hard. Brenham is a bit bigger with about 15K.

Texas is so large there are dozens of places that would meet your needs. I would decide on a couple of general areas (west, northwest, etc) and then start applying for jobs. Once that is taken care of, you will no doubt find a great nearby community to live in.

Last edited by cla; 01-28-2009 at 02:53 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
What about areas up around Magnolia/Conroe?

That way, you have all the shopping needs/concerts/"city feel" of the Woodlands without it being very far away at all. And if the need arises, Houston (downtown/galleria area) is about an hour or so away.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
What about areas up around Magnolia/Conroe?

That way, you have all the shopping needs/concerts/"city feel" of the Woodlands without it being very far away at all. And if the need arises, Houston (downtown/galleria area) is about an hour or so away.

An hour away on a good day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston