Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:04 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times

Advertisements

I am being told by Clear Lake and League City residents that I can't trust Google Maps' estimates about commute times to downtown. For instance, someone today told me that during rush hour, it takes 15-30 minutes from her League City neighborhood just to get to I-45.

If you live in Clear Lake or League City and you commute to downtown (or even better, UH Main), would you please share with me your commute time? Either here or via direct message.

I don't want a terrible surprise if I buy a house that looks like it has a good location and then I discover traffic patterns are horrible during rush hour. My job isn't very flexible about when I go to work in the morning or return in the evening...unfortunately, I generally need to be there around 8 am and leave around 5 pm. And I don't think there are mass transit options to UH Main (or if there are, I haven't found them yet).

Also, if anyone has recommendations about Bay Area neighborhoods with convenient locations for commuting to downtown, please let me know. I very much appreciate the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
If you want to live in in the Bay Area you will be looking at an hour commute each way.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Westhou is about right, for your times listed. Right outside 610 to downtown can be hell during peak times. That stretch of I-45 is very narrow and basically obsolete for today's traffic patterns.

Now if you had flex time and could be in by 7 and out at 4, it's closer to a 35-40 minute commute.

On weekends you can make it to UH in about 20 minutes from here, give or take a few depending on where you're coming from.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
If you want to live in in the Bay Area you will be looking at an hour commute each way.
Really? No matter which neighborhood I choose? It is confusing me that some people keep telling me to move to Clear Lake if I want to improve my commute, and other people say that a Clear Lake location would be easier than my current Sugar Land location. I can't really drive from Sugar Land to Clear Lake in the morning just so that I can test the commute, so I'm relying on other people's experiences, but those experiences just seem so varied!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM

It is varied as you could live inside Houston by Ellington and shoot up & down 45, or you could live near 146 in South Shore Harbor, which is another story altogether. The "Bay Area" may as well be its own town of 300,000 people, like 3 Sugar Lands side by side.

I can say that I can leave the house by 6:15 and get to the Galleria office parking lot by 6:55. I get to the UH exit by about 6:40. If I were to leave 5 minutes later, it could add 15 extra minutes to the commute. Things get really bad at the times you mentioned.

Don't forget about the nasty construction between Clear Lake and League City on 45.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I can say that I can leave the house by 6:15 and get to the Galleria office parking lot by 6:55. I get to the UH exit by about 6:40. If I were to leave 5 minutes later, it could add 15 extra minutes to the commute. Things get really bad at the times you mentioned.

Don't forget about the nasty construction between Clear Lake and League City on 45.
I wish that my work circumstances didn't dictate a schedule that is primarily 8 am to 5 pm, but that's the reality of my job. It sounds like most of my commute issues are because of the times that I have to be on the road.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Isn't Pearland a heckuva lot closer to UH? Have you considered it?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Isn't Pearland a heckuva lot closer to UH? Have you considered it?
I was scared away by Pearland's bad PR and tales of traffic woes, but every place is still under consideration since I haven't figured out any sustainable solution yet.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 AM

421 posts, read 1,726,865 times
Are you attempting to reduce your commute time to UH main to under 45 minutes?

Can you find a rideshare and commute. I can drive from Sugar Land to UH main in under 30 minutes when I have a passenger using the HOV lane, then taking Elgin to campus.

Is rideshare and option for you.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM

Sugar Land to UH Main in under 30 minutes sounds like a flight, especially during rush hours!!

45 has an HOV lane but I'm unsure where you would get off & on. Prob stops #3 and #8:

I-45 South / Gulf Freeway Access Ramps

Also in there is a park & ride or park & pool option. If you're in League City you'd use the Bay Area one. Most of CLear Lake would use the South Point one, or maybe the Fuqua one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston