Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

914 posts, read 1,833,682 times

Advertisements

Everyone I know carries flood insurance whether they are in the flood zone or not. The flood insurance rates vary depending on whether the property is on the flood plain. I hear the rates are about to go through the roof. Houston is very close to the coast and gets tropical storms and hurricanes occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Rates are the same. Congress and senate stopped the change that would have really affected home flood insurance rates

Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Rates are the same. Congress and senate stopped the change that would have really affected home flood insurance rates
I think modified would be a more accurate desciption from what I've read, but in any event that will likely be temporary. But long term issue of not being able to renovate your property without losing the grandfathering is still out there. One of our neighbors was forced to tear down a newly renovated property as the slab was below the mean flood level. City wouldn't issue a permit.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
The complete dead stop of changing up FEMA flood rates may be "temporary" but no way in hell will a change be implemented like they did last time (they amazingly werent aware huge portions of the nations business and populations hug the coastline, but again they admit they didnt know what they were voting for). Subsidized flood insurance will always be around in one way or another for existing homes that arent coastal or floating in an actual floodway.

All that grandfathering was taken off the table when they tossed it out in DC. I don't know what happened to your neighbor's home, but could be a local building code issue. IE. if I were to tear down my house, current building codes would require me to build a raised structure to put me out of the flood plain.

Buildings around me are being renovated and go basically unchanged. But at the same time they completely tore down a McD's and rebuilt the McD's in the same spot, just larger and few feet higher in the air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: