Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
There you go again...You may not realize this, but because of the fact that you don't live here, your comments look at Houston through the wrong light. Certain individuals considering moving here need to hear the opinions of people who actual live here instead of hearing the opinions of someone who bases their views of the city on statistics and have might have visited maybe once or twice.

In a nutshell...you're wrong.
Well, I have lived in Houston and have been there numerous times. Again, my friend who lives in Midtown and have stayed with him many times. I also have a perspective you seem to lack, I have lived other places and thus know the general differences of Houston and other cities. Have you ever lived somewhere else? The information you are providing is frankly incorrect and statistics and common sense would tell one that.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, I have lived in Houston and have been there numerous times. Again, my friend who lives in Midtown and have stayed with him many times. I also have a perspective you seem to lack, I have lived other places and thus know the general differences of Houston and other cities. Have you ever lived somewhere else? The information you are providing is frankly incorrect and statistics and common sense would tell one that.
Well, I've lived in New York City for a whole millisecond and my mother is from there, so I am aware of urban-as-urban can be. What I'm interested in is where exactly I am wrong?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 PM

321 posts, read 1,441,546 times
Default H town

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TOWN View Post
-'to each his own'-agreed

But to say that Houston is as conservative as it seems to you, is a lie. Houston is the fourth largest city in the nation, and has the sixth largst metro. It pulls people from everywhere, including very liberal places like California. In fact, half of the people that I have met while walking the streets of Houston are from very liberal areas, and are now enjoying the city. Maybe rural and small town Texas is conservative, but Houston is very open. It's like saying that Chicago is a conservative area, just because the rest of the state is red. The only reason that Illinois is blue is because the city is. Chicago, for the most part, is the only world reknown location within the state. This is not so true with Texas. There are other big cities that Houston has to contend with in the political spectrum. Don't judge a state based upon the major city. Anyone that lives in Illinois outside of Chicago can tell you this.
Houston is a very international city.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:15 PM

12 posts, read 51,065 times
Quote:

Give it a rest Irwin...so you don't like Houston or it seems Texas. As I have said many times to people that come here and complain, I-10 goes East or West and I-45 goes North or South. Pick a direction and find a place that makes you happy. Statistics are just that and do not include peoples feeling about a place or people. And yes Irwin, I have lived other places and ALWAYS come home to TEXAS.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,149 times
Houston city limits voted liberal...Harris County didn't. The reason? Harris County included the bulk of Houston's suburbs. Those suburbs are mighty conservative.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRider View Post
Give it a rest Irwin...so you don't like Houston or it seems Texas. As I have said many times to people that come here and complain, I-10 goes East or West and I-45 goes North or South. Pick a direction and find a place that makes you happy. Statistics are just that and do not include peoples feeling about a place or people. And yes Irwin, I have lived other places and ALWAYS come home to TEXAS.

I,too, have lived other places, as well as my children... DC, NYC, London, Paris.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 AM

61 posts, read 351,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post

Have you ever even lived here before, or are you just coming to a forum to dish out bad things about a city you know hardly anything about?
Labelling a city "conservative", is hardly dishing out baddies. C'mon its just a label; whether liberal or conservative, a city can still be great.

Though I agree that Houston has significant if not large liberal areas; nevertheless, it is relatively conservative compared to other major big cities. It's all relative my friend. Now compared to the rest of Texas, Houston is quite liberal. You see how RELATIVISM works ALWAYS A MOVING TARGET.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonman View Post
Labelling a city "conservative", is hardly dishing out baddies. C'mon its just a label; whether liberal or conservative, a city can still be great.

Though I agree that Houston has significant if not large liberal areas; nevertheless, it is relatively conservative compared to other major big cities. It's all relative my friend. Now compared to the rest of Texas, Houston is quite liberal. You see how RELATIVISM works ALWAYS A MOVING TARGET.
"Hardly"...which means it is in a way, but this isn't the only time he's given some sort of biased opinion on the city.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 11,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonman View Post

I sort of have to agree with you on this. Compared to my old major city midwest stomping grounds, Houston is more conservative overall. But like I stated before, it has turned into a international city. Maybe back in the day it was full of conservative ideals, and dreams. But now, it simply can't, due to it's size and power.

But saying that Houston is all out conservative is not true. This misconception is found throughout the nation, don't feel bad. People are still ignorant to the fact that Houston is so big and mighty. Hopefully within the next decade that will switch. In many ways, I think people don't visit us like New York, or LA because they think we are so Bible Belt that we won't like what they have to bring into the city.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Good!

Quote:
Glad you are happy in Houston, although I have heard plenty of good things about Chicago. I have not spent enough time there to say one way or the other, although I suspect it would fit my tastes.

Personally, I don't think I could ever live in Houston. It is WAY too suburban and way too conservative for my tastes. I am an agnostic so religion is not important to me at all. But, to each his own. Some people obviously like Houston.
I am glad you made your decision. Nothing like a person who knows their own mind! I am for that! Personally I am a Deist who is a Republican who supports animal rights, womens rights, minority rights, gay rights, children's right, freedom of religion, pro choice, no prayer in school, stem cell, no unions, low taxes , Great foreign policy, the Great Lone Star State, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston