Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There's plenty of problems "in the burbs." The Woodlands has a few bodies dumped there this year. Bank robbers, break-ins galore in one neighbor, and kids playing with homemade bombs. Actually they've had more action up there than in my subdivision in "the big, bad, ugly city." People who don't think it can happen to them just because they live somewhere are easy targets.
Absolutely.
It's funny when people think living out in the suburbs somehow gets them and their kids away from all of society's problems.
I've actually found things like partying, drug use, drinking, sex, etc to be MORE rampant in the suburbs compared to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
It's hard to decide where you want to live in a completely new area. But there are certainly nice areas on nearly every side of Houston. I personally decided to live just into Montgomery county right off of I-45, to avoid city services from Houston, and living in Harris county. You mentioned liking the Woodlands area. Why not buy there, or look at surrounding areas? There are several communities located off of riley fuzzel road (think it's spelled right) that has a direct connection to the Hardy toll road, for a fairly quick ride into Houston for commuters. Spring Trails, Imperial Oaks, and other neighborhoods are in the area, and the area is growing very quickly. Perhaps renting is a good idea for you to get a bit more familiar with the area before commiting to a specific location by buying.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Ok, as soon as my husband gets a job, we're moving to Houston. I feel like I want to pull my hair out on where to live. We're debating between buying and renting. We've seen the Woodlands and loved it, but I hear the commute is hell to work in Houston. I know it depends on where he works but I'm trying to get an idea on areas. We will proably stay somewhere North. In the Woodlands I loved the trees, pristine, manicured area, and the people. Our range is up to 200's (we're only in our 20's) We live in Stone Oak in SA, where the entire area is nice. I've seen parts of Cypress/Katy and it's patchy to nice, ghetto, then nice. Actually, I was in Cypress a few weeks ago and saw a guy who had been shot in a parking lot. I need an area that is pristine, low crime, no riff raff, high ratio of proffesionals. We do not have kids yet, but will in a few years so I would like to be near a great school. I've read on here that Klein ISD and parts of Spring is going ghetto? I've also read Sugarland/Humble is becoming infested with gangs? True/False? I was in HAR and came across a few houses in the various neighbhrhoods/towns: Kingwood, Memorial NW, Olde Oak subdivision, Pinehurst,Terranova West. Good or Bad? Where do people live inside Houston? North Houston?
Humble infested with gangs??? Where did you read abt that?? We use to live in Eagle Springs which has an Humble address but really in Atascocita. We never heard of issues with gangs. We still have friends who live there and no mention on gang related issues. We are actually planning on moving back to the Humble/Atascocita are in the next two months so if you know of something specific please do tell. True that no matter where ya go there will be issues and we feel pretty safe with our choice but like I said I have not of any specifics to make us not feel safe in that decision.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There's plenty of problems "in the burbs." The Woodlands has a few bodies dumped there this year. Bank robbers, break-ins galore in one neighbor, and kids playing with homemade bombs. Actually they've had more action up there than in my subdivision in "the big, bad, ugly city." People who don't think it can happen to them just because they live somewhere are easy targets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Absolutely.
It's funny when people think living out in the suburbs somehow gets them and their kids away from all of society's problems.
I've actually found things like partying, drug use, drinking, sex, etc to be MORE rampant in the suburbs compared to the city.
Okay guys, I think we've got it by now that you think the suburbs suck. And no, people in the suburbs don't think they are lacking in problems.

Now, OP said they are looking in the $200k range and want good schools. Do you think they can find this in the city limits? If so, please enlighten me! If not, cool it.

As for the OP: I don't know all of the places you mention, but I'd avoid anything in 77068 (you mention Olde Oaks) or 77090. Nice subdivisions, but the schools have been ruined by overdevelopment of apartments mostly on the south side of Hwy 6.

I know very little of Cypress, except that some subdivisions are great, and others not so much. You'll need to ask around more. The commute into downtown from Cypress is one of the worst.

Most of Sugar Land is great. Though you won't have the tall pines like on the north side of town, you'll have lots of large oaks and other trees in the more developed areas. It will actually look more like San Antonio/Austin, sans the hills.

Check the school ratings on HAR.com, schooldigger.com or greatschools.net

And yes, you would probably be better off renting before buying.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Okay guys, I think we've got it by now that you think the suburbs suck. And no, people in the suburbs don't think they are lacking in problems.
No, I don't think the suburbs suck.
Hell, I'm living in Katy right now.
My only point is that this is not some kind of utopia where you can escape all of life's problems.
Bad things happen everywhere, even in the suburbs.
Look where all the school shootings occur.
There are people on here who still act shocked when a crime occurs near them in the 'burbs.
These are probably the same people that leave their doors unlocked and wonder how someone could break into their home or car.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
No, I don't think the suburbs suck.
Hell, I'm living in Katy right now.
My only point is that this is not some kind of utopia where you can escape all of life's problems.
Bad things happen everywhere, even in the suburbs.
Look where all the school shootings occur.
There are people on here who still act shocked when a crime occurs near them in the 'burbs.
These are probably the same people that leave their doors unlocked and wonder how someone could break into their home or car.

Kinda where I was coming from as well. Faux safety. I think AK is very sensititve about living in the burbs.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
Look into Gleannloach Farms. It's in Klein ISD but as long as you stay north of FM 1960 you should be fine.

Gleannloch Farms

Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
Look into Gleannloach Farms. It's in Klein ISD but as long as you stay north of FM 1960 you should be fine.

Gleannloch Farms
That is a loooong commute to downtown. Possibly as much as the Woodlands after you get out of the neighborhood and all the way to 249. I love it but it is a hike from DT

Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Sugar Land and Humble infested with gangs? sounds like someone peeing on you but telling you its raining.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
Quote:
That is a loooong commute to downtown.
Yes! You are right! My husband works at HP and we live in Lakewood Forest so his commute is 5 minutes. I have no idea how bad the traffic is on SH 249. I just know 290 should be avoided at all costs. However, she said he doesn't know where he's working yet.

Quote:
I hear the commute is hell to work in Houston. I know it depends on where he works but I'm trying to get an idea on areas. We will probably stay somewhere North.
I suppose that would be much more important to get that nailed down first. Just trying to point out that there are nice areas in Klein and Cypress and Tomball for that matter. No need to panic. The Woodlands isn't the only option.

I din't add it earlier but I will now, I would definitely rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston