Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times

Advertisements

You guys are better off doing it yourself.

Attorney general investigates complaints against law firm O'Connor and Associates - 5/08/09 - Houston News - abc13.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
This year I got something from them that displayed old appraisal values, not the current ones. From what I could deduce, it seemed shady. However after noticing that, I placed it in File 13 like I do every year.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
It is easy to do yourself.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,658 times
Default Beware! You're tied to this company in perpetuity!

After two years of NO representation, I had dismissed O'Connor and Associates as totally ineffectual. Then in late 2009, I received a bill from them. When I questioned their authority to represent me, I was reminded I had authorized them in 2007 to be my agent in perpetuity. One has to file another form with the appraisal district revoking their authority.

Sure enough, I had signed the form, so I'm at fault for not reading it thoroughly. They apparently count on people NOT reading the document carefully. This practice stinks and should not be allowed to continue. I am filing a complaint with the Attorney General's Office of consumer protection.

OK, so I wasn't out money to O'connor and Associates. But by not representing me for two years I'm out money I could potentially have saved if they had done what they pledged they would do. I should have followed my neighbor's advice and filed the protest myself.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
I never even authorized them to represent me but they tried to do so anyway. I had simply asked for information about their services. They used that inquiry as a basis to file a protest on my behalf. After they had filed the protest they sent me an authorization form and then called me repeatedly when I refused to sign it. ( I did see the "agent in perpetuity" part of the authorization form and wondered how many people get rooked in by that.)

I know that homeowners can protest on their own behalf but I'm not physically able to do so. However, after my bad experience, I'd never use Connor & Assoc. What reputable company acts like that?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM

105 posts, read 265,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximzodal View Post
After two years of NO representation, I had dismissed O'Connor and Associates as totally ineffectual. Then in late 2009, I received a bill from them. When I questioned their authority to represent me, I was reminded I had authorized them in 2007 to be my agent in perpetuity. One has to file another form with the appraisal district revoking their authority.

Sure enough, I had signed the form, so I'm at fault for not reading it thoroughly. They apparently count on people NOT reading the document carefully. This practice stinks and should not be allowed to continue. I am filing a complaint with the Attorney General's Office of consumer protection.

OK, so I wasn't out money to O'connor and Associates. But by not representing me for two years I'm out money I could potentially have saved if they had done what they pledged they would do. I should have followed my neighbor's advice and filed the protest myself.
I read the form and unchecked the box that said they could represent me forever and replaced it with 12/31/09. They saved me $12 last year. There was a lot of hullaballoo a few months ago in the news about them and their lawyery activities. I would never use them again based on those reports. They are criminals.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epularis View Post
I read the form and unchecked the box that said they could represent me forever and replaced it with 12/31/09. They saved me $12 last year. There was a lot of hullaballoo a few months ago in the news about them and their lawyery activities. I would never use them again based on those reports. They are criminals.
I did the same thing 4 years ago and have been representing myself for the last 3 years with better results. I found out that they filed a protest on my behalf this year w/o authorization and blew my top especially when it caused my tax bill to be delayed. I did complain to the AG.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,199 times
I received a bill from them from my house that I sold in 2005!!! The "indefinite representation until notified" clause is what is going to get a lot of people in trouble with these a-holes!!! Unless you notify them, they will keep on protesting your house until you say 'STOP".

Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
so many suckers down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston